Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's starting to click....


Eva looooves school....but I would be quick to say her strong subject is math.  That girl is a WHIZ when it comes to math.  Those of you that know me personally know that she does NOT get this from her Mama!  I'm the one that is counting every single dot on the dice when we play Yahtzee instead of quickly adding them up in my head!  Ha!

Anyway, if math was her strong subject....reading was her subject she struggled a bit with.  As many of her teachers said, "She works hard, but it's not a subject that comes very easily to her". 

As parents we are fully aware that our children are going to struggle with some things...but it still hurts to watch them struggle.  I felt bad because I loooooved reading growing up and I still do.  I wanted Eva to have that love of reading too.  Matt felt bad because he struggled with reading growing up and knew how hard it could be...reading is in EVERY subject you deal with.

That being said, we just trudged along.  We read to her often and did what we could to make reading FUN.  Many people told me not to worry, that eventually it would just "click". 

Well....they were right.

Within the first few weeks of school Eva jumped two reading levels...and this past week she started tackling beginner chapter books. 

I was floored.

Not only that, but the little girl loves reading!!  She keeps asking me for more and more books!  I love to watch her light up as the world around her lights up.  Do you remember what it was like when you first started reading everything (signs, books, letters, EVERYTHING) in the world around you?!!  It's as if a whole new world has opened it's doors and you are walking in wide-eyed!!!!

Congrats to you Miss Eva....you stuck with it.  Even though there were some bumps in the road (and there may be other bumps down the road) you've learned that if you stick with something long enough you can overcome obstacles in your path.  We are soooo proud of you.

"You learn you can do your best even when it's hard, even when you are tired and may be hurting a little bit.  It feels good to show some courage."
--Joe Namath

1 comment:

Liz Taylor said...

AW! I miss LITTLE BEAR!!! :)