Whew! Today was a whirlwind day! On top of schooling Eva for two hours I also cleaned the house, made homemade caramel corn, chocolate chip cookies, pasta sauce, and put together a lasagna! However, regardless of how busy I am, the Adventure Box is a priority...and today's lesson only took a few minutes (which was a good thing for today)!
Today's Bible verse was Luke 1:26-33...(on a side note, I'm working with both of the kiddos on how to find passages in the Bible. At the ages they are I turned to Luke, I had Jaden find the chapter and Eva find the verse. This can change as they get older, for kiddos that can read have them read the whole verse)!
"In the sixth month God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, 'Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you!' Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will have no end."
Now, there are LOOOOOTS of avenues you can take with this passage depending on the age of the child. Eva and Jaden are 6 and 4 so we really talked about how Mary must have felt to have an angel appear to her. We all agreed it would be kind of scary. We talked about how Gabriel calmed Mary's fears and told her not to be afraid. We talked about what "with child" means and how the Angel even told Mary that the baby was to be named Jesus!
Then they opened the gift for today....a plastic set of Mary and Joseph. The giggled when they found out this set is JUST for them. Unlike our family Nativity set, which is not to be played with because it could break, this set CAN be played with - and I WANT it played with. Honestly, I want them to use, play, and talk about Mary and Joseph as much as possible. I don't care at this point if it is in a Biblical sense...or if Mary is riding the Batmobile with Jaden's toy Batman.....I just want them part of their daily language and interactions.
Side Note: If you are following along with this so that you can do this with your children (or classroom) I would suggest purchasing a children's Nativity set. I found the one we will be using at Family Christian Bookstore. The children will be getting parts of the set throughout the Adventure Box experience as we dive deeper into the birth of Jesus. It's important the set is something they can play with!!
Tomorrow a new adventure awaits!

2 comments:
I absolutely love reading about your Adventure Box. I think it's an amazing tradition and teaching tool - and so much fun. I literally look forward to each new post about it. Thank you for sharing your idea - and your lessons - with us.
Very cute! There is also a cute Fisher Price Little People nativity that Cooper has - he loves it!
Post a Comment