Monday, January 11, 2010

Confession.

I've always looked forward to baking treats for my children's classrooms. Even before I had children I was buying books on classroom treats and filing away cute ideas in my memory. There are just soooo many cute things out there and I was so excited to create such special things for my children!

Well, today was my first chance. I was PUMPED. Today Eva celebrated her birthday at school (yes, I counted and this was her fourth birthday celebration....ha!) We looked through books together to find something special to make and take into her classroom and she decided on Ice cream cake cups....which are ice cream cones with cake baked into them and frosted to look like an ice cream cone.

In the past I've always made these little treats with cake in them....but the recipe Eva happened to point to was made with brownies. I consider myself to be a pretty decent cook. I enjoy spending time in the kitchen and making various things. There is rarely a recipe that I feel intimidated by.

Except brownies.

Now I know that sounds ridiculous.....seriously, brownies of all things?! It doesn't matter if they are homemade or box mix they end up rock hard. Now in all honesty Eva picked out this treat by looking at the picture and she probably assumed they were made with cake the way I've always made them.....but the anal side of me decided the recipe said brownies and I was gonna make it with brownies.

Not a good idea.

I was up until 10:00 last night making these little treasures and they ended up being about as appetizing as biting into a piece of extremely stale bread. They were rock hard to the point that all I could picture was one of Eva's little friends chipping a tooth on her birthday treat. They were horrible...and I was at crunch time as the party was the next morning. I wanted to take my hand and smash them...only I probably would have broke my hand. I went to bed a bit crushed.

This morning I decided I was NOT going to defeated!!! I got up bright and early, got ready, and rushed to the store before the sun was even up to buy all new ingredients. After I dropped Eva off at school I rushed home and made the whole recipe all over again before her birthday party....I got them done just in the nick of time. We took Eva's treats into school and they were a hit.

And since this time I made them with cake we did not run the risk of any little 5 year olds chipping a tooth - yea!!!!!! Ahhhh....the things we do for love.

Eva enjoying her ice cream cake cup!
Eva and her teacher as her class was singing Happy Birthday to her!

Note: Another reason the treat she picked out was so special was that it is the exact same treat I picked out for my birthday at preschool when I was Eva's age! I didn't tell her that until after she picked them out...but we both thought that was pretty neat!

5 comments:

Kat said...

Last year for Kallie's b-day treats at preschool, she also asked for brownies. HOWEVER, the week before Jon had asked me to do the family a favor and never try to make them again. (always rock hard!!) SO, thanks to a very good friend of mine, Kallie's class had great brownies!!

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell you a story about this...Did same thing for Michael and Jonathon's bday when they were in preschool....needless to say that was the last time I am doing that again.
-U

Andrea said...

Hi! I've been following your blog for a short time, and thought I would give you a few suggestions! Whip your egg in a seperate bowl before putting into the mix, set your temp, 10 or 15 degrees less than the directions, and cook 5 mins less. Hope it helps! (if you ever decide to try again)

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Thanks Andrea!!!!

Tonya said...

Like you I have always looked forward to the time when I get to make birthday treats for the classroom...I was CRUSHED when on the first day of school for Noah they told us everything we bring in MUST be store bought - ugh! Must be a city/Chicago thing? Anyway, I too struggle with brownies and have vowed NEVER to make them from scratch again...I just can't get it right.