Have you ever read something that was literally life changing? I read a book about 5 years ago called Fast Food Nation. The book literally changed my life. I was never a big fast food eater anyway....but after reading that book I severely changed whatever fast food eating I did do. Because of that book I can literally count on one hand the number of times my children have ate at McDonalds...it wasn't until this year that Eva even knew what McDonalds was! We just don't eat fast food (except Taco Bell...where we usually order meatless items). The book opened my eyes and changed the way I did things.....for good.
Well, it's happened again.
While I was in Florida on vacation I read the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman - I saw it mentioned on MTV of all places and decided it looked like a good read. If you could see my copy of the book right now you would laugh....it's completely highlighted and full of post-it notes.
The book is literally chock full of information that will change your life.
Without getting into all of the specifics of the book Dr. Fuhrman basically lays out just how the typical American diet is killing us. It not only outlines exactly how this is happening, but what changes we can make in our diet and life style to change it.
Here are a few quotes from the book that moved (motivated) me...
"The American diet is one of the most dangerous foods in the world to consume."
"Most Americans are not aware that the diet they feed their children guarantees a high cancer probability down the road. They don't even contemplate that eating fast food meals may be just as risky (or more so) than letting their children smoke cigarettes."
"Do not underestimate the effect of a powerful diet on gradually removing and repairing damage caused by years of self-abuse...you can not buy your health; you must earn it through healthy living."
These are just a few....seriously, I could quote the whole book!!! Ha! My lifestyle (as well as the lifestyle of my children) I felt was pretty good before....but I've made some changes after reading this book that I feel are not "short term" changes....they will become a new lifestyle.
One of the major changes I have made is severely limiting dairy intake (I've limited it for the children, and at this point completely cut it out for myself...I may completely take Jaden off dairy soon due to his eczema). Think about it...we are the only species that spends out lives drinking another animals milk. Our bodies are just not designed for it....yet we consume it (and make our children consume it) at an alarming rate. The question I'm most often asked (usually in a voice that is full of panic) is, "How are you getting your calcium?!!!!!" The answer is that you receive a LOT of calcium (as much as your body needs) through foods like green veggies, beans (loooove my black beans), seeds, and fruit....and you get all this calcium without the problems associated with dairy.
The crazy thing is....it has NOT been hard and I feel GREAT - (I can even continue my love affair with Starbucks because they have SOY chai lattes!!!)!
I've made other changes....and I'm excited about them too....but I don't want to write a book here! The advice Dr. Fuhrman gives is life changing....you may not follow ALL of it, but I can guarantee you will at least make some changes that could make a HUGE impact on your life and health.
Sooooooo.....to sum it up.....this Happy Housewife highly recommends it and thinks you should run to your local library or bookstore and snatch up a copy for yourself!
On a personal note....thanks to my Mom who has suggested I read this book for quite awhile and has actually met Dr. Fuhrman. I've learned that one of my bad traits is that sometimes I just have to figure out things for myself!!! I appreciate your patience with me....love you!
3 comments:
Sounds like a great book! I am a big believer that the foods we eat greatly affect our health and I should probably do more reading on the topic before feeding my own little one (due in April).
My husband read an article about milk quite a while ago that contained that same idea (among others) about dairy (how we're the only species that drinks another's milk) and was convinced enough that we started limiting our milk intake as well. It just made sense.
Thanks for sharing about this book. I will definitely add it to my to-read pile!
O.K., friend. I will take my milk-lovin', carb-consuming self to the library tomorrow. Promise. I SOOOOOOO do not read that type of book, but because I trust you, I will. Recipe for the black bean salsa stuff, please. (Yes, I realize that you told it to me...my mind just forgot :). My friend, the Blssfully Happy Housewife...changing the world- one latte at a time :) Love ya.
I just had to chuckle outloud. Not at your post, but the fact that I read it after what I just posted as my daily joy (you'll see what I mean). :)
Post a Comment