Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fireproof - Part 2

I loved reading your comments on my Fireproof post. I've fallen in love with that movie so much I went out and bought it this weekend, as well as The Love Dare. Can't wait to dig in!!! I decided to buy the movie so I could watch it again, but also to share with anyone that hasn't seen it! If you are interested let me know!

That being said, I thought I would share with you a few things I do to help let Matt know that he is special to me. My hopes are that you gain some ideas (as I did from you) and use them to enhance your own relationships!

* Matt and I make a point to always kiss hello and goodbye - even if one of us is just running out to the corner for milk.

* I always ask about Matt's day and I sincerely am interested in listening to his response. It's not just a rhetorical question. However, we make a point not to talk about work/adult things at the dinner table. We try to focus our dinner conversation on the things the children can join in on.

* Matt occasionally travels and I try to make sure he comes home to crisp clean sheets and a freshly made bed. Small, I know....but if I traveled I would find it heavenly!

* Since I am home during the day I try very hard to make sure that Matt comes home to a clean home and often dinner is on the table, or at least underway. Some of you may find this very old fashioned...but I love that I am able to do this for my family.

* Pray. Pray. Pray. This is most important. I will admit that I am horrible at having a set time for devotions and praying...I tend to do it all day long at random times. I've found that for me the best times to pray are while I am driving and during quiet times with my children. I also started something new recently that I love (I read about it in a book) - as I am folding clothing I pray for the person's clothing that I am folding. This has worked out great!

I hope these little things inspire you, as I was inspired by your ideas. I am not perfect and I definitely have days when I am not on my "A" game. There are definitely those days that Matt comes home to the house in complete disarray and I just laugh (or pull out my hair) and say, "WE ARE EATING OUT TONIGHT!!!!!" But my intentions are to always make our home a place of comfort and peace.

On a side note...for those of you that are working I KNOW how hard it is to work full time and then get a nice meal on the table. A few years back (when I was working) my friend Kim and I got together and cooked all day one day (made double and triple batches) and then froze the meals. This was fun for two reasons...One, my friend and I had a great day of drinking wine and cooking together. Two, I had a freezer stuffed full of meals that I could thaw, throw in the oven, and still feed my family a great homemade meal (often on the table just as Matt got home)!!! I do have a few pointers to share if you are interested in this...e-mail me!

6 comments:

Loukia said...

I think prayer is very important. I love how you say a prayer for each person as you're folding their clothes. I think it is very important to say I Love You every time you leave the house. I want to be happy around my kids; leave the adult talk for later, and just be in the moment!

Kelli said...

Prayer is huge...one that I'm working on improving. I love that you have clean sheets for him after traveling, there's nothing like a clean bed. I also love that your home is straightened and dinner made, I love old fashioned and I know he appreciates it. Great post!

Kimberly said...

You know me, I wish we were next door neighbors and we could dress like June Clever....Skirt, heels, apron and a huge smile on when the hubby came home :)....I Love the "June" apron you bought me:)
I loved your ideas and I am looking forward to another cooking day sometime! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Jamie- You were my middle school cheerleading coach! I'm living in Montana now and recently moved in with my fiance. I work late some nights and have a hard time feeling motivated to cook a meal after a long day. Just wondered what meals you made that were easy to freeze and serve. I would love some hints! Thanks. Leslie Van Landingham

Unknown said...

Great ideas!!! I love the one about kissing before your husband leaves and when they come home. This is something I fall short on...Often I'm busy and don't take the time to do it. And don't come to the door. Man...I falling short in this area. I'm going to try to better with that! I know my hubby would love that. I also love the idea of clean sheets when hubby comes home from a trip. I know my husband would love love that because nothings better than clean crisp sheets! Thanks for all the great ideas of small things that can make a big impact!

Ashli said...

My little sister and her new husband read The Love Dare as part of their pre-marital counseling...she said it was great!

I love the idea of praying for each person as you're folding their clothes...thanks!