Friday, June 19, 2009

Danger! Danger!

When I was teaching fourth grade I use to do an entire unit on Basic Aid, and within this unit I always included fire safety. Every year I was absolutely FLOORED at how many of my students knew nothing about fire safety. Many not even having a clue how to handle a 911 call. I always vowed that when I had my own children I would do all that I could to ensure that they were prepared in the event of an emergency...and I would start them young in this preparation.

A few years ago my dad and step-mom got Eva and Jaden a book called "It's Time to Call 911!" that is absolutely WONDERFUL. It has completely taught Eva not only how to dial 911, but also what situations would require a 911 call. The book even explains what information you need to tell the 911 operator.


Eva and I have talked about fire safety. She knows that if a fire were to happen in our home she must get out quickly and never, EVER come back in. We have a meeting place where we will all meet as a family.

Another step I took recently to ensure they are prepared in the event of an emergency was to take them to our local fire department. I called ahead and explained that I would like my children to meet the firemen and possibly see what the firemen look like with all of their gear on. When I was teaching I read that often children in a fire will hide from firemen because they look so scary with their masks and gear on. Our trip to the firehouse was a perfect opportunity for Eva and Jaden to see that underneath all of that gear is a man that is there to help them if need be. The firemen were wonderful and gave us a tour of the firehouse. They let us see all the firetrucks and let Eva sit in the driver's seat!! At the end of the tour we talked about fire safety. One fireman put on his gear and let Eva and Jaden see him with it all on. I made sure he talked to them with the mask on and pointed out to the little ones that his voice sounds funny with the mask on...but it's still the same man underneath the mask.

In all this was a wonderful experience - especially for Eva. Jaden is still a little young and was quite scared of the trucks and the man in the mask. I can assure you that we will return when he is a little older and understands it better.

I know that many schools offer programs where firemen come and let children see the trucks and talk about fire safety, but if you have little ones at home I would encourage you to make a trip sooner. Unfortunately, you never know when an emergency may happen and it's so important to make sure our little ones are prepared!

6 comments:

Loukia said...

So funny - I have that book, as well! My mom bought if for my oldest son a while back, and after a while the sound broke, so we bought him a new one. He knows to call 9-1-1 in case of an emergency. We also have these books about floods, volcanos, earthquakes - although living in Canada, we don't really have to worry about those types of natural disasters, I like educating him on these things. He's so cute, because he talks about what to do in case of an earthquake.

Marika said...

Speaking as a former 4th grade teacher myself, this is a great post and a super idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kelli said...

Wow, I never thought about asking the firemen to put on their gear for the kids. That's a great idea. Thanks!

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Youre so cute Jamie!

Kimberly said...

Such wonderful Pro-Active ideas!!! -That's My Friend, always thinking!!

Anonymous said...

Great post Jamie!
Kay