Thursday, June 11, 2009

Let's Fireproof Our Marriages...with a little help from our friends.

OK...I know I am behind the times, as many of you watched this movie a looooooong time ago....but just bear with me here. After wanting to watch the movie Fireproof for literally months Matt and I finally sat down tonight and watched it together.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Let me start off by saying I detest sad movies. I simply refuse to watch them. Matt was leery about this movie at the beginning because he thought it was going to just be a sad sappy movie (honestly I think he was thinking "chick flick" in his head but wasn't saying it). After hearing so much hype about it I decided I wanted to see it regardless. About midway through this movie I was bawling and I didn't stop!!

At one point Matt chuckled because I actually caught a sob in my throat!! Yes, I sobbed.

But the amazing thing was that they were not tears of sadness.

I can't even really explain it, but quite honestly they were tears of joy.

The message of this movie was amazing. Simply amazing. What God can do in our lives is unreal...but the movie did an amazing job of showing that WE must do all we can to assist God in his plan. Marriages will deteriorate if WE don't put the effort into them to make them prosper.

Some of the very best advice I got about marriage I actually got from my high school family relations teacher. She once said that marriage is NEVER a 50-50. Some days you will be giving 80% and your partner will only be giving 20%. Other days your partner will be put forth 95% of the effort, while you're just kickin' in the last 5%. I thought the movie did an amazing job of demonstrating this. About mid-movie Kirk's character was doing all he could to keep his marriage going. He was giving nearly 99.99% at that point...and he wasn't giving up!

I also loved how Kirk's (yes, we are on a first name basis now...after all he was my middle school crush) character finally realized that he had been pushing God away the same way his wife was pushing him away. As his relationship with God became stronger, his relationship with his wife eventually became stronger too. And even beyond that he just seemed more at peace - with everything in his life.

And lastly, this movie was just ANOTHER example that in life the little things really are the big things. The little touches in a marriage make life that much sweeter.

Soooooooo......on that note....

As we all know, a blog is a WONDERFUL way to learn from each other. I'm asking my readers to comment and share some little things YOU do to make your spouse feel special. Your ideas can be as simple or complex as you wish - I want to hear them all! Please share and check back often...I am hoping we can all steal a few ideas from eachother!!!

Hugs,
Jamie

11 comments:

Matt said...

J:
I really wasn't looking forward to watching it. You know I detest sad movies as well. However, I'm thankful you were persistant in us watching it, for I did enjoy it (and how ironic was it that last night was the last night for it being on Pay-per-View!). It is a good remember as to what should be the center of our marriage and our family. I'm so thankful for you and our marriage - I love you!

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Jamie....that movie IS amazing! We actually watched it with our small group when they were playing it at our church... That movie was on my heart for days, actually weeks later. *(did you know in the end scene when they finally reunite in the firestation and KISS, that Kirk was actually kissing his real life wife b/c he refused to kiss any other woman?)...thats why that scene was shadowed and and you couldn't see faces... HOW AMAZING IS THAT?? This actor, who honors the commitment he made to his wife by not even kissing someone else is a movie.) That part really touched me as well. I have actually wanted to buy that movie. I kept thinking that when the rocky times came, we would need to force ourselves to get it out. It is such a reminder of Gods love...and how His mercies are new every day. You have a very blessed family. Matt is lucky to you have you... Keep living for Him...in the end, there is NOTHING else that matters. XOXO

Amy said...

We watched the movie together too a few months back...

I'm very lucky to have been married to my best friend for 10 years...I still get excited when I hear him walk through the front door and I know he gets excited when he hops in the car to head home...

Some things I do to make him feel special...He has to get up and work at an AWFULLY horrible hour...I have the coffee ready for him (wonderful world of timers) and his lunch made every day...he also gets little notes from me or silly drawings of 'Super Andy'! I try to make his home his 'haven', a safe place!

We're the lucky ones ladies! Ones who have a good God to serve and an amazing gift he gave us through our men!

Stacey said...

LOVE that movie! One thing I do for Tommy is thank him often for going to work for us. Here is our typical dialogue...

Me: Thank you so much for going to work for us. I know it isn't always easy.

Tommy: Thank YOU for staying home with the kids, I know it can be hard.

And then we argue over who's job is harder, I say his, he says mine! In the mean time I think we both feel more appreciated! What a pleasant arguement! :)

RosyRose said...

Hey Kirk was my jr high crush too:)!
I loved the movie as well! I remember being moved at how much God can change lives when we allow him to be our leader!

Since Jason and I have switched roles recently(to some extent) We have become much more aware what the other has really been doing all these years. It's good for us!

I love when he serves me by having the house clean when I get home and when he trys to understand what I'm saying.

I give to him by admiring him and telling him so.
It's true...What we give comes back to us!

Anonymous said...

You wanted some advice: You don't quit when everyone says its hopeless, there's no way he or she will ever change. God can change anyone; but it takes prayer - persistant prayer - and the family will eventually benefit.

Nicole said...

Great post! We also saw this movie several months again and loved it! One thing that has helped us is keeping God first! It is amazing that when we put God first everything else in our lives flow so much better. We are celebrating 9 years of marriage this week and I truely believe you fall in love more and more each year, month and day! It is a matter of keeping priorites straight. God first, your spouse second and then are kiddos! We try to have date nights every week or two weeks and that has really helped us a lot! Thank you so much for sharing such a sweet uplifting post!! You have such a sweet heart for God!

Sandy said...

Hi Jamie,

We watched the movie and we made our kids (teens) watch the movie!

It was great!

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

I never let Jeff leave the house without giving him a kiss goodbye.

The Miller's said...

I love this movie as well. It hurts me so to see how little marriage is valued in our society. It's so refreshing to see movies like this one. I never let a day go by without telling Matt how much I love him!

Kimberly said...

As you know Jamie, I love the movie and I was pleased when Kevin seemed to enjoy it as well! I think that the main point in fireproofing a marriage is to keep it real and to STAY connected. (this is not always easy).
I still get excited to see him when the do opens!
Some simple things I do to "take care" of Kevin....compliment him (everyone loves to hear compliments)and sometimes in front of others. Keeping the house clean and picked up so he has a comfortable place to be after work. Other ideas: always a clean towel by the shower so he doesn't have to walk to the linen closet wet, homecooked meals, (a full husband is a happy husband) and to make sure our girls know (by showing and telling) that I Love Their Daddy!! ....