Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Traditions

I am not a big "tradition" person by nature...I like trying new things often. However, Christmas is one of those times that I tend to get a bit more sentimental and enjoy tradition. I thought I would share a just a few of our Christmas traditions with you (I put the captions above each picture this time)....

Christmas cookies boxed up and ready to deliver to our wonderful neighbors. Matt's parents do this for their neighbors and I always thought it was a good idea. I just feel Christmas is a great time to let our neighbors know how much we appreciate them.
Each year Matt and I buy our children a Christmas book. Sometimes it is a religious based book (like the Christmas Story), and other times they are just fun (like The Grinch). These books are ONLY out at Christmas time...so that makes them extra special and fun.

Christmas cookie decorating!! This is a tradition that has been around for YEARS in my family. I always enjoy it because it starts off pretty serious (my mom, sister, and I are all trying to make the prettiest cookie - we are pretty cut throat about it) and as the night wears down it just gets downright hilarious. Maybe it's that we are tired, or maybe it's the wine...but the cookies get more and more funny as the night wears on!
Each year Matt and I buy Eva and Jaden a special Christmas PJ to wear on Christmas eve or for a family Christmas if we visiting until bedtime (this picture was taken at my Dad's family Christmas this year).

Giving to others is super important to us. This picture is of Eva helping me wrap gifts for a needy family.

We have 2 Christmas trees. One tree is decorated more thematic (all bright red and lime green this year) and the other tree holds all of our special family ornaments. There are ornaments on there from when Matt and I were little, ornaments our children have made, baby ornaments, and ornaments that we have purchased during family vacations. I love it because each ornament has a little story behind it.

As I said, these are just a few...we have quite a few more! One thing regarding tradition that I try to tell myself is that when the tradition is taking the fun out of the holiday it is time to end it. For example, if baking cookies for the neighbors becomes too much this time of year it is not worth it (a special note would be just as appreciated) or when the children have outgrown the joy of having special jammies I will set that tradition aside too. Traditions should be fun and enjoyable...never ever a chore. And lastly, the most important tradition we share with our children is talking about the true meaning of Christmas and God's love. That is something that no picture could ever capture...but, to me, is the most important tradition of all.

8 comments:

Amy said...

we have lots of traditions too! It is so much fun to carry them on and share them with our children. I too love decorating cookies...giving to each other...this year it was really important for each sibling to buy for each other...I want to teach about giving more than receiving! We have books too...Have you read 'A Tale of Three Trees'...it is beautiful!

fun post!!

Jami said...

Great traditions, Jamie. I enjoyed reading about them. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas!!

Amy said...

I don't know how we found each other...maybe I found you through Dancing Queen??? Brown Eyed Fox?

We do have a lot in common...kindrid spririts...1,000 miles away! ;)

I hope you have a great Christmas with your family!

Mom of Double A said...

I love your traditions...we have some that are very similar.
We have matching jammies with Jade's kids every year--makes for fun photo opportunities!
We, too have 2 Christmas trees and they sound very similar. I love talking about why each ornament is special as we take them out of the box and put it on the tree (hmm..maybe that could be a blogpost).
Hope you have a Merry Christmas this week....loved the note we received in the mail about you choosing families to pray about!Right back at 'cha!!

Kelli said...

Love this post. I love doing the jammies too (which reminds me that I haven't gotten ones for this year...slacker!). I want to get Jamison a good book about the true meaning of Christmas to read to her...any good suggestions?

Patrice said...

Love this! Great traditions! I love our Christmas traditions, it's one of the best parts!
I gave you a special shout out on my 100th post today, check it out when you can! :)

Cammie said...

saying hello from Patrice's blog. I love your idea of Christmas books only out at Christmas. I also do matching jammies each year and it is getting hard to find them for a boy AND a girl!
Merry Christmas!

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

...and just to let everyone know, my cookies were the best this year!!! Good post J. I'm a little different than you, because I love tradition all the time, but your right that Christmas is extra special.