Thursday, December 11, 2008

And so we meet again...

And so we meet again. The dreaded treadmill.

The treadmill and I have a brief, but violent, history together. I bought it nearly 5 years ago and after using it a short time decided it was the most boring piece of machinery man ever made. I had no desire to run in place like a rat on a wheel.

So there is sat in the corner of our basement.

After having Eva I decided to give it another try. I dusted it back off and got back on the horse, so to speak.

The treadmill had other ideas.

I am assuming it was ticked from sitting there unused for so long or maybe it was just having a bad day (we all have those, don't we?). Well, whatever the reason I climbed onto that piece of machinery all decked out in my workout gear...water bottle in hand...IPod blaring some great tune in my ear....and that piece of crap literally threw me into the wall!

Laugh it up my friends...I kid you not!!! It was ticked I tell you...ticked!

As I was running on it (ok, as I was walking on it) my shoelace got caught and that little rotating belt just threw my entire body right into the wall behind me. Hard. After getting up and licking my wounds I walked away from it with my tail between my legs (and a few choice words out of my mouth)...and haven't used it since.

Then I had one more child.

And I quit working.

And summer ended.

The amount of physical activity I've got lately has been a joke. My thighs seem to be growing by the minute and my tummy seems to think there is another baby in there (and I assure you, there is not)!

So today I waved my white flag of surrender, dusted off the ol' treadmill one more time, and got back on the horse.

I started off slow...warming it up ever so gently...assuring it that I come in peace.

So far, no injuries.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

That is so funny Jamie, not the part where you got hurt, but the whole love/hate relationship that I too have with my treadmill! Some days I really think I can hear it mocking me! NOW, the kicker for me is, Olivia LOVES to get on the treadmill and walk/jog! Go figure!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you double knot your shoe laces........tight!!!!

Kelli said...

That is a funny story. I hope that he's nicer to you tomorrow.

RosyRose said...

Oh bliss...i feel your pain! I can be so dedicated for awhile and then I get out of the habit and my clothes all tell me so!
Your machine does have an attitude! After such a long "time out" you think it would learn its lesson!:)

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

Pretty frickin' great story J... by the way, you are a posting fool lately.

Tara said...

I really need to reacquainted with my treadmill also! It is so easy to quit and so hard to get started. I find so many other things to do!!

The Miller's said...

That's pretty funny, Jamie! But, you may surprise yourself, it can be quite addicting after a while. I really miss it - but the little one is well worth it! :)

andreawilliams said...

wow! good for you. i broke up with my treadmill long ago! i really need to revisit our relationship.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you sister! I began the treadmill adventure 2 weeks ago. So far, so good!! Can't wait till Spring to be able to run/walk outside.

Jami said...

Great story...I however doubt that your thin little body is growing by the minute!!! But a little exercise won't hurt any of us. (Oh, did I just say that? Darn, I should take my own advice.)