Monday, July 21, 2008

Disney, Here We Come....

This Happy Housewife and her family will be visiting Disney World soon. Eva is pretty pumped about seeing where Mickey Mouse lives. Tonight before bed she asked me if tomorrow was the day she was going to see Mickey Mouse. When I told her tomorrow is not quite the day she seemed sad. I tried to explain to her how many days we had left, but it's so hard to explain time span to a 3 year old. Tomorrow we may have to draw a picture of how many days are left so that she can physically see it. She also asked me tonight if she could drive when she is 5 years old. Again, quite difficult to explain what 16 means to someone that can only count to 14. On that same note, she asked me how old she had to be to ride on a motorcycle and I told her she had to be 80 (or maybe never?!!!). For some reason she seemed content with that. So funny!

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to ask my readers if you have any advice you would like to share about vacationing at Disney World? I've read books, checked out the information on the Internet, talked to friends that have gone, etc. but I'm always looking for more tips or advice. I tend to be a bit of a planner, and with 2 small children the more prepared I can be the more smoothly the vacation will go! I appreciate any advice you have to offer!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just enjoy your time there! The look on their faces when they see things for the first time is priceless!! Have so much fun!! Kisses to Eva and Jaden!
Love,
Aunt Kathy

beth said...

Hi Jaime-
I sometimes check out your blog through the link on Sarah's blog and just have to comment about DW. We took our kids in Jan and it was the best vacation ever with them. I highly suggest checking out tourguidemike.com and using his advice. I'm not one to plan detailed days while on vacation, but we were able to relax knowing the decisions about where to go and when had already been made. We waited in no lines the whole week!

Also check out dis.com for great message boards and tons of advice. Have fun! I can't wait to go back when the baby is older.

Mom of Double A said...

ooohhh Jamie! How much time do you have? You know I worked there in college, right?!
I don't know when you are going, but I'd be happy to tell you all of the little secrets I know. Course that was 13 years ago, so it's probably all different.
We're going the week after Thanksgiving-I can't wait. I'd love to compare notes.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
We haven't taken our kids to Disney yet, but I have heard that the kids really like the character dining experience. I have also heard to take breaks and time for naps ect to keep the kids happy. For the airplane I would also have comfort items...blankets, pacis, snacks, gum, and games or coloring books ect. We flew with Ethan when he was 15 mo. He slept the entire 4 hr flight there and back. We really lucked out, my worst fear was he was going to scream and make every one mad on the plane. Have Fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help everyone!!! I appreciate your input!

Jamie

Kristen said...

Let me know if you figure out how to tell them how many days. Every morning Cade wakes up asking if today is the day we go to Nanna and Pop Pop's house? So I try to keep saying in so many nite nite's but still not working!

Can't wait to read about your disney world adventures!! Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law always related time to my kids by telling them they had x amount of "sleeps" until a certain event that they were looking forward to.

Anonymous said...

Have so much fun! We haven't taken Gavin to DW yet, but I would have to agree with Stef about the comfort things for the plane. (Also....the portable DVD player is great!) Can't wait to hear about your trip.

Jami said...

Jamie,
I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Jami

Mom of Double A said...

Jamie...are you ever coming back...I'm going through Happy Housewife withdrawal! :)

I'm so anxious to hear about your Disney trip and see all of the wonderful pictures!

I just booked reservations this week for a princess breakfast when we go in December.