Thursday, March 10, 2011

We'll giggle about it....someday.

This morning was one of those mornings that ripped at my heart strings...but I also tucked it away in my mind knowing darn well one day we were gonna have a good giggle fest over it.

Let me explain...

On the way to school Eva made a very poor choice...she lied.  Our children know that we have no tolerance for lying and the consequences are pretty steep.  Lately when Eva does something she knows is wrong she becomes very sad and very cuddly.

That's exactly what happened this morning.

She had herself worked up into a fit crying and saying she didn't want to go to school, she just wanted to stay home and cuddle.  This continued as we were pulling into the school and the entire time we were making our way through the drop-off line.  I couldn't get her calmed down.  She said she didn't want to get out of the car...she didn't want to go to school...she just wanted to be with Jaden and I.

Seriously, I love that little girl...but we were in a pickle.  She needed to go to school!

I took a deep breath, gave her a big hug, and said I would drive around the parking lot so she could pull herself together.  So I drove around and as I felt she was OK I pulled back into the drop off line (I'm sure the man directing traffic wondered if I'd lost it).  Eva seemed alright.  She gave Jaden and I kisses and hugs and got out of the car.  I always wait to wave to her and make sure she gets in the school OK.  As I sat there today I watched her walk half way up the walk way...and then COMPLETELY lose it.

Poor girl was standing there in her pigtails and sobbing...right in the middle of the walk way with children walking in just staring at her. 

I rolled down the window and told her to walk up to the school and that I was going to park and walk her in.  I pulled up and parked the car...and then looked down at myself. 

Oh my.

I was in mismatched sweats (with big stains on the front)...my hair was completely unbrushed....I had not a stitch of make-up on...and my teeth weren't even brushed.  I was planning on dropped Eva off and going straight home, so to say I was looking rough would be a complete understatement. 

I did what any woman does and tried to "fix" my hair a little bit and rubbed my teeth with my finger.  I'm not sure exactly what I thought I was going to do...there was no helping at this point.

I got out of the car and opened the back door to get Jaden out.  We were both in bad shape.  He was still in his jammies with a bad case of bed head.

On top of that he was wearing his Crocs....and it was snowing out.

Lovely.

Regardless, I pulled myself together and walked up to the school (of course running into people I know in the process - why DOES that happen?!).  We walked in together with Eva and made it to her locker.  I held Jaden on my hip and helped Eva get her book bag situated and herself all calmed down.  As we were doing this I noticed other students walking by as and looking at us.

We were quite a sight.

After Eva was calmed down I (with Jaden still on my hip) walked her to her classroom door.  She kissed me goodbye and I reminded her to give Jaden and hug and kiss too.  She reached up to kiss Jaden and stopped in her tracks.

"What's THAT??!!!"

I looked at Jaden's face. 

He had a long line of thick green snot running all the way from his nose to his ear!

Ahhhh....lovely.

I doubt I'm getting any awards for parent of the year after today - Ha! - but I know we'll all giggle about it someday. 

3 comments:

Matt said...

That is hilarious Jamie - very true that you'll all laugh about it one day!

Kimberly said...

One day.....I am laughing right now because you wrote it so vividly and I can just see you walking through it all....brushing teeth with the finger and all, I love you my friend and adore the wonderful Mommy that you are!!

Kat said...

I LOVE IT!!!