Friday, March 25, 2011

Past my prime for this...

I went tanning last night (thought I'd get a little color before an upcoming vacation).  I use sunless tanner in the winter so It's the first time in YEARS (and years and years) that I have tanned in a tanning bed.  So much has changed and I felt quite clueless....to the obvious enjoyment of the pre-teen girl helping me out.  After looking at me with a deer-in-the-headlights glare for awhile after I announced I haven't tanned in years she went on to tell me about the various beds, various lotions, various packages, various enhancers, etc. that I would most definitely need if I was going to be engaging in this process.  Seriously.

After she informed me I was going to have to use the wimpiest bed they have available and even with the wimpy bed she was only going to let me tan half the time she pointed me to the direction of my tanning room.

I started getting myself all settled (which took a bit because I could not remember even which direction I was suppose to lay in the darn thing) and before I knew what was happening it turned on (on it's own these days!) 

OH.  MY.  WORD.

Were tanning beds always that bright?!  (yes, I realize my eyes were suppose to be closed...the whole "turning on" thing caught me off guard as I was still trying to figure out if I use to put a towel under my tush or not while laying in it).  Anyway, I felt like I was staring directly into the sun and my hands instinctively flew up to my face to block the 5 million amp bulbs glaring at me. 

It was bright. 

And hot. 

On top of that, I layed down and my body automatically morphed into this ridiculously odd position.  What the heck!!!?!  Then it dawned on me...Ahhhh yes...this is the position I use to lay in tanning beds back in the day so I didn't get tan lines that were visible with my cheerleading outfit on!!!

Yes, you read that correctly friends.  My body automatically morphed into tanning cheerleader mode and it's been about...well...let's just say it's been a looooooooog time (to say the least).

I straightened myself out and laid down as a respectable adult.

After it was over I got out and walked past all the 13-17 year olds waiting in line and came to the conclusion I may just be waaay too old for this.

However, I may have to go ONE more time just to prove to the preteen chick that was helping me that I can hold my own (well...that....and I really do need a little color before the vacation)....

"Don't take life to seriously...you'll never get out alive!"
--Albert Einstein

6 comments:

Krissy said...

Oh...My....Word! I am laughing right now! I so can picture the scene because, well I've been there. The 1st time I tanned since the high school, cheerleading days was well after high school and I did the same thing!!! Isn't it funny that we laid in that position for 30+ minutes back in the day and it feels like torture now. :) L.O.V.E it!

Danielle said...

lol, I recently did the same thing. I went to Coconut tan, and they put me in a bed called a bronzer that I was guaranteed not to burn and have visible results the first time, I was very happy and plan to go back! Good luck tanning!

Jami said...

Talking about tanning brought back memories of the tanning bed in the "hotel," remember that place? Ha, I hope your experience was at least not as creepy as those days!

I will have to admit, this story did make you sound old though. Oh, it is happening to us!!!

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Jami, I TOTALLY remember that creepy place!!!!!! The funny part of that whole experience is that we KEPT GOING BACK!!!! Ha!!!

Miss you girl...hugs!

Jamie

Kimberly said...

You are so funny! Such a visual you created for us readers! Tanning has gone to a much higher level since the 90s and it has certainly gone up in price as I learned when I went before our last vacation . So true that it was so natural for us circa 1994. Enjoy your next relaxing 12 min tan. But further more have an awesome trip! Hugs!

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

uhhh....12 minutes??!!! TRY 6 MINUTES!! That is all they would let me go! Ha!