I have a little girl that is head over heels in love with sports....pretty much any kind of sport. If it involves a ball she's game.
I'll be honest in saying I never in my wildest dreams imagined myself raising a little girl that loves sports. For those of you that know me I'm a bit of a girly girl...and my atheltic skills are not what I consider one of my strong points....at all.
Eva's love of sports has challenged me and I love that! Eva doesn't realize it but as she is learning so am I! I listen at her practices and find myself asking Matt more questions about how the game is played and the rules involved. It's important to me that if my daughter wants me to play one-on-one basketball with her (and she often does) that I can do it! I want to share in my daughter's passion for athletics and I want her to know that I always support her.
Eva recently participated in a program called Upward. It's a nationwide program and if you have little ones I would consider looking it up in your area! I know that Upward has many different programs (basketball, soccer, cheerleading) and it's all faith-based which I love! Eva just completed the Upward basketball program and I can NOT say enough great things about it.
Every single game starts out with both teams, refs, and coaches circling together hand-in-hand for a moment of prayer...this was such a strong message to give those children about sportsmanship and values. I really appreciated this part!
My little girl rockin' some defense...gotta love it...especially considering she was the only girl on her team and she never let it stop her on intimidate her!
GO EVA! As I said earlier, she didn't let the boys intimidate her...she often scored an average of about 5 baskets a game (although they did not keep score).
Another favorite...(and I'm fully aware she will eventually outgrow this)...she would often wave to me as she was running down the court! Aww, melt my heart little girl!
Eva's Upward season concluded this weekend with an award ceremony. The kids jammed to a little live Christian music and listened to a former NFL player talk about his relationship with Christ and how his ability in sports improved because he learned to put God first. It ended with each child receiving an Upward basketball! We are so proud of our little ball player!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals."
--Larry Bird




No comments:
Post a Comment