Lent is right around the corner. It's always kind of an exciting time for me...all that lent stands for means so much, as well the realization that spring is here!!
I was raised Catholic so as a child I always remember lent being a pretty big deal...and I vividly remember deciding what I was going to give up. This year I decided that Eva and Jaden are old enough to start understanding lent and old enough to give something up too.
At first Eva decided to give up broccoli and Jaden decided to give up potatoes...I had to explain to them that the idea of lent is to give up something that we enjoy. To spend that time focused on the sacrifices Jesus made for us. After some more talking I think they were starting to understand it. As I write this Eva has decided she's going to give up peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (her absolute FAVORITE) and Jaden is still undecided (his attempts to give up onions - which he doesn't really like anyway - for lent were met with disapproval from his mama...Ha!)
As for me, I'll be giving up Facebook again. I did it last year too. It's difficult because I use Facebook to keep in contact with a lot of my friends. That being said, it felt good to go a bit "unplugged" for awhile and focus back on some other things. I'm also giving up my cell phone (while driving). I don't ever text and drive...but I do dial the phone and talk on it while driving. Honestly, when I sit and watch how many drivers are talking on cell phones or just completely distracted by other things it kinda scares me. A lot is riding on those four wheels you are steering...I'm just not willing to sacrifice the lives of my children for a 30 second phone call!!
Sooo..if you are friends with me on Facebook you'll need to contact me via email in the next few weeks. If you talk with me on my cell just know I won't be answering if I'm driving! In the meantime I'm going to go talk to my son about giving up gum or his favorite cereal for lent...not potatoes and onions!!!! Ha!
Happy Spring Friends!
1 comment:
You are very inspiring Jamie...and what a wonderful example you are giving your children. They are going to grow up and be exceptional!- just like their Mama!
Post a Comment