Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Testimony of a Stay-at-Home Mommy....

Note to Readers: The following article is by Carolyn Hax of the Washington Post. As a stay-at-home mom I am often asked what in the world I do all day...this letter pretty much sums it up!

Dear Carolyn:
What exactly do stay-at-home moms do all day? Don't give me a list of library, grocery store, dry cleaners, etc. I do all those things AND I work nine hours a day. I manage to get it all done. I'm feeling like the kid is an excuse to relax and enjoy!
--Tacoma, Washington

Dear Tacoma:
I keep wavering between giving you a straight answer and giving my forehead some keyboard. Since it is validation you seem to want, the real answer is what you get.

When you have young kids your typical day is: constant attention, from getting them out of bed, fed, cleaned, dressed; to keeping them out of harm's way; to answering their coos, cries, questions; to having two arms and carrying one child, one set of car keys, and supplies for even the quickest trips - including the latest-to-be-declared-essential piece of molded plastic gear; to keeping them from unshelving books at the library; to enforcing rest times; to staying one step ahead of them lest they get too hungry, tired, or bored, any of which can produce checkout-line screaming.

It is needing 45 minutes to do what takes others 15.

It's constant vigilance, constant touch, constant use of your voice, constant relegation of your needs to the second tier.

It's constant scrutiny and second-guessing from family and friends.

It's resisting constant temptation to seek short-term relief at everyone's long-term expense.

It's doing all of this while concurrently teaching virtually everything - language, manners, safety, resourcefulness, discipline, curiosity, creativity, empathy. Everything.

It's is also a choice, yes. And a complete joy.

--Carolyn

All I have got to say is a big AMEN Sista!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Here, Here,... It is always amazes me what I can get done during a short nap time. Being home, words can't explain the joys!

The Miller's said...

I've had many people ask me, "don't you get bored?!" Yeah, right! How in the world could I get bored when I'm taking care of and loving on my baby?! Most important job in the world and worth any and every sacrifice to be there. :)

Courtney said...

love this article. i get frustrated with people who act like just because i stay at home with my son that i am lazy and spend all day every day relaxing. try it sometime. if it were so simple everyone would do it..

Debbie said...

I love how she doesn't beat around the bush. . . she puts it in words that (hopefully) anyone could understand. There are times, at the end of the day, that I wonder "where did the day go?", but then I check in on my girls and realize. . . right here. I am spending my days raising my girls. The best job ever!
Thanks for posting this - I think everyone should read it!