Isn't it funny how certain things fall in your lap when you are least expecting it? This past weekend has left me with my mind racing and my heart full of excitement (and a little anxiety).
Let me explain...
When I first started playing around with photography my intentions were purely to do it for a hobby. I've loved it since I was a little girl...and since I am a full-time stay-at-home mom I just decided I needed something that was "mine" - a hobby of sorts. I decided it was the perfect time to start studying photography.
Over the course of the year I have taken numerous classes, read books, studied Internet sites, and been privileged enough to get one-on-one lessons with a fantastic photographer in our area.
Still, my desires were focused on learning all I could because I loved the hobby. I purchased a better camera, got a few lenses, and continued to practice.
Then friends started asking me to photograph their children. I would politely refuse explaining that I still had way too much to learn before I could do something of that sort.
More friends started asking.
I decided to photograph one good friends children so I could chalk up some more practice on subjects other than my own little beauties. I enjoyed photographing them, and somewhat hesitantly decided by the end of the night that I would be willing to do this for friends - people that I know and that would love me anyway if the images weren't exactly what they were looking for.
But then something kind of crazy happened.
After seeing the pictures, other people were interested in me photographing their children and families. People that I don't even know. People that have never met me.
I am putting it lightly when I say I was flattered....but also completely caught off guard. My mind raced with insecurities....was I ready?....do I know enough to do this?....what if they don't like the images I take?....the list was endless.
In the end (after a lot of thinking and praying) I decided that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take - and I may never have this opportunity again.
I decided to go for it.
So the weekend was busy for me as I set up professional printing services, came up with a name for my business (just saying the word "business' sounds crazy to me), called my photographer friend freaking out more than once, and ultimately booked my first photography session!
Although this weekend was a whirlwind I am taking it slow...very slow. I am not too proud to say that I have a lot I still need to learn....A LOT...but my heart tells me that beautiful things could be just above the horizon if I trust God's plan.
9 comments:
I'd like to book an appointment!!! SERIOUSLY!!
Trusting God...works everytime. I pray that you enjoy this wonderful adventure and capture many memories. You can do it!
I am so proud and excited for you Jamie! You have a God given talent! Trust in Him...I know you will do great!
I expect professional pics of ALL my grandchildren!!!! And remember, we will need a session for some anniversary pics. Love, Grandma F
J,
I know I've told you a million times that I'm so excited for you, but really, I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! To find something you LOVE to do and to be able to call it your job, is absolutely awesome! Great things happen to great people, I'm not a bit surprised at God and his plan for you... you deserve it!! (just don't forget about the little people!) ;)
You. Rock.
Go with the plan my friend! HE knows what he is doing! You have talent, and I am so proud of you! Enjoy it! I am looking forward to "booking" our appointment. Although, you might not have one avaliable :)
There is a verse in the Bible in Joel that says: "That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh: Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. Your old men shall dream dreams, your young men (women) shall see visions. I admire you & Matt for following your "visions" and not waiting to just "dream dreams". You're using your God given talent to honor God and Bless others. Love to all! Grandpa F
Jamie, I think God has given you such a gift. I absolutely love the pictures you took. You captured those little girls in such a unique way (and your editing makes it even better). It has the artist touch that I have tried having photographers capture with my own boys...but haven't found anyone who has been able to get it. Luckily, I am friends with you:) So when you are ready to start booking, let me know!!
Post a Comment