Thursday, September 17, 2009

Our first gardening season comes to a close...

We officially have our first season of gardening under our belts! It's been a fun experience and I have definitely learned a lot! There are some things I would do the same, as well as some things I will do differently next year - but that's the fun part of learning something new!

Our onions were A-MA-ZING and I will definitely plant more of those next year! On top of that our Amish friends taught us a trick to storing them so that they last all winter!
We had a lot of potatoes, but again I wish I would have planted more! They taste amazing and it's so nice to have them fresh out of the garden. Again, our Amish friends had us pick a variety that will last all winter if properly stored.
Part of the fun of planting potatoes is digging them up - especially for little ones! I told Eva and Jaden is was like a treasure hunt and we had to dig for buried treasure! They had a ball! Also, on a side note, I never had a problem with rabbits - not sure if it was the marigolds or not but my neighbor did have a problem and did not have marigolds planted.
Our tomatoes were minimal this year (although I've heard it was just a bad year for them) but our grape tomatoes did great! The kiddies loved picking them, washing them off outside, and popping them in their mouths!
And yet again, my little guy gets sidetracked in his gardening duties!!! This time he spotted an airplane and was mesmerized! He's so stinkin' cute I'll let him get away with it! Ha!
In all, the whole experience was awesome and I would encourage those of you that are considering having one next year to do it. It felt good to be out in the garden with my little ones and know that we were all kind of learning together....and growing some good food in the process!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you are an expert, I expect all fresh veggies from your garden next year. I remember the size of my Dad's garden. He had a huge garden and truck patch besides! All the melons the high school kids could ever want to steal! Give kisses to my angels. Grandma F

The Miller's said...

When we move to a house you are going to have to teach me all of your gardening wisdom! We don't have any Amish friends around here to help us out! :)