I am normally a very rational person. I taught school for ten years...trust me when I say I can keep my cool under most situations.
One exception to the rule is when "Mama Bear" comes out in me.
When Eva was about 2 years old I realized I had this inner bear living in me. As I said, I am normally very rational, but I have found that when I feel my children are being treated unfairly or - gasp! - another child is being mean to them Mama Bear rears her ugly head.
Let me give you an example...
When Eva was 2 she and I were having a fun day at a local park. We had been enjoying our time playing on the swings, the slides, and the jungle gym. This particular park has big round drums you can also play while visiting. Eva and I searched high and low for a perfect set of sticks to make "drumsticks" for the drum. We finally found them and Eva toddled over to the drums to try them out.
Enter playground bully.
He walks over to my little girl and just rips the "drumsticks" right out of her hand.
Enter Mama Bear.
Forget the fact that he was only probably 4 years old.
Forget the fact that he had probably not been trained on how to properly share.
Forget the fact that I towered over him by a good 3 feet and had a good 100 pounds on him.
I WANTED to walk up to him, tear the sticks out of his hand and scream, "How DARE you take these out of my little girl's hand....and don't think for a SECOND that just because you are four I won't TAKE YOU DOWN mister!!"
ya....all forms of rationality flew RIGHT out the window.
Fortunately Mama Bear does not show up that often (and I am perfectly aware that my children are not little angels all the time either). Thus far I have been able to keep Mama Bear under control and use my better instincts to remedy situations....but Mama Bear is always ready to pounce if need be.
Mama Bear showed her face again this morning during a trip to the library. Jaden wanted to color and the local library bully decided he couldn't have any chalk.
Ya....that is NOT gonna work with me.
Again, I was able to pull it together and act like an adult, but inside I was ready to tear every last piece of chalk out of that bully's hands and make him sit with his little nose in the corner...for a very long time.
Grrrrrrr......gotta love a Mama Bear.
8 comments:
100% agree with you on this post!!! My mom said it NEVER changes either...even when your children are 26 and 23! :) Good job "mama bear" haha
I hear you! It bugs the snot out of me when a parent sees the way their child is behaving and yet says nothing...that bugs me so much~ I know I'm not perfect and I've got flaws...but, I certainly hope I'm teaching my children to behave and act nicely to others!
LOVE this Jamie! My mama bear comes out too and it can be hard to be rational! Good for you for keeping your cool!
You are too funny! I enjoyed your stories.
Oh I am SO with you... I don't know how I keep it together in situations like that! But mean older kids who do things like that SUCK!
I know exactly how you feel :) It does not get any easier the older they get but it is neat to see how they start handling situations on their own. But of course I am right behind them ready to pounce any evil child as well :)
Oh the Mama Bear lives in most all of us I'm sure. I try and calm her down too and most days it works. Good luck!
I'm such a Mama Bear...and its funny b/c Jason actually calls me Mama Bear....like regularily calls me Mama Bear. Glad I'm not the only one.
Post a Comment