Other songs that bring back memories for me...
"I Get Lost" by Debbie Gibson (first boy/girl party and first kiss)
"She's a Wild One" by Trisha Yearwood (high school fun)
Anything by Lynard Skynard (college years)
"What a Wonderful World" (Matt)
The list could go on and on and on. There is actually one song that my sister and I refer to as "our song" because we loved it so much when we were little girls....just hearing it brings back memories of us dancing and singing to it (probably imitating those Solid Gold dancers again).
The same is true for scents. A certain scent can instantly make my mind travel back in time. I have actually kept the old cologne bottle that Matt used when we were first dating because one little whiff of it reminds me of those first few weeks together....I love it.
What songs or scents take you back?
"I go back to the field and a fifty yard line, a blanket of girls and some rasberry wine...wishing time would stop right in it's tracks. Every time I hear that song...I go back."
--Kenny Chesney "I Go Back"
8 comments:
Brown Eyed Girl and Bye Bye Miss American Pie (is that the name??) take me back to the good ole days at Manchester. 1999, by Prince is one that reminds me of junior high and the country song SOLD reminds me of driving in a car with Matt and Mom and Dad!! God Bless the USA reminds me of coming home from Europe when the first Gulf War started. Good post!!
Oops...can't forget I Will Survive. Great times with my friends Jane and Patty!
~Kat
Oh, I haven't thought about that Debbie Gibson song in a long time! I loved that song. :) Dancing in the Dark and Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen both remind me of my dad while other Springsteen songs make me think of my husband (Loose Change and Tougher Than the Rest). Bruce Springsteen's music has been a huge part of my life!
As far as scents go, I have a candle that somebody gave us for a wedding present. The scent of that candle makes me think about the time right after getting married when we used to burn it all the time. It's almost gone and it's been a long time since I've lit it because I don't want it to be all used up! I love the smell of that candle!
Great post!
Jamie, every time I hear Watermelon Crawl I die laughing, just thinking of you performing it in our teeny tiny room! That and whenever I see Annie, I think of our wonderful singing heard throughout 3rd floor of East... Ah the memories!
Oh how songs take you back...
Johnny Angel by Shelley Fabares (the first 45 rpm I ever bought, and I listened to it over & over & over on mom & dads 'record player' in the living room. They had to be so tired of that song, but they never said anything!)--- Do Wah Diddy Diddy by Manfred Man (my first boy/girl party at a friends house, and I remember they had a 'bomb shelter' in their basement, which gave me the creeps then, and still does now!)--- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals - a street dance at Simonton Lake when I was in middle school, that was lots of fun!... Forever in Love by Kenny G - Bob!!! I could go on and on and on... so many songs - so many memories! Old songs are great for the soul!
What a fun reflection:
This one took my mind into so many different directions:
Dave Matthews & Goo Goo Dolls-College
James Taylor- Kevin & I
Bob Marley- Our Last Carribean Cruise-Or Just vacation!
My Girls- Our Daughters
I could go on...
Scents: Playdough always makes me think of childhood fun and so does fresh cut grass, I can still see my Dad pushing that mower while I played outside..
Thanks for the little retreat today Jamie!
There are so many 'song memories' I wouldn't know where to start, but I do use these memories to my advantage when Jon and I play our 'Date that Tune' game. When we are in the car for long drives we listen to music and have to guess what year we think it came out. I always feel like I have an advantage over him because I narrow it down by where I lived (I moved a lot growing up), what year in school I was, etc when the song was popular. My memories of these songs usually help me win!!
So glad you brought up "our song", but you didn't put the title down or totally set the scence for how we would sing the song... The song.."Don't you want me baby", by Human League. We would get all dolled up in our jammies with belts around them and sing into our brushes and dance like solid gold dancer, what a sight!!!! Wish we had videos of it now. LOL.. love ya.
Post a Comment