Friday, February 13, 2009

Stranger Danger

So today the kiddies and I were enjoying a fun lunch at Taco Bell when a man approached our table and commented on how cute the kiddies are. I've wrote about this before - grandma and grandpa types are famous for this - but normally it is a short comment and then the person leaves.

Not this morning.

After commenting on how cute the kids were this guy broke out in a Donald Duck impersonation and started talking to them as if he was the over sized duck himself.

Jaden is terrified of Disney characters. Terrified.

Jaden immediately started shaking his head NO in a futile attempt to tell this guy to knock it off.

The guy didn't get the hint. He continued to talk and talk and talk. I know he may have meant well...but seriously, it was obvious the little one didn't like it. Eva in the meantime is looking at him as if he has just sprouted a second head.

I finally decided enough was enough. I looked at the guy and said, "Actually Sir, he is terrified of Donald Duck"

So the guy finally stops. Then he looks over at Eva and starts firing off questions, "How old are you? How did you get so pretty? What is your name?"

I looked at him and said - politely but sternly - "They are both very good and my husband and I are proud of them!" and then I turned my back to him hoping he would get the hint that this whole conversation was over.

He finally got the hint.

Let me tell you why this annoys me....it's one thing to comment to a parent that they have nice children. I appreciate that. It's an entirely other thing to start talking to the children themselves and firing personal questions at them. I spend a lot of time talking to my children about staying safe and talking to some random guy in Taco Bell that wants to know personal information about you is not safe.

I used it as a teachable moment with my munchkins. After he walked away I explained to both of them that they handled the situation well, but that if Daddy or I were not with them and someone asked them ANY questions they should NEVER EVER talk to them.

In the end, all was well and a very teachable moment was created.

Here is to keeping our munchkins safe in this big world...and to no more Donald Duck weirdos!

6 comments:

Jami said...

What a nut! I felt fear just reading your story. I am glad he finally got your hint to leave.

Tonya said...

That is so creepy. What is it about randoms and that Donald Duck voice? Someone in Nordstrom did something similar to my 6month old last week. Even if your kid is a Donald fan, they are still going to think it is weird...unless the person has a bill, feathers and a blue sailor suit!

Kim said...

Yeah, we met Mr. Donald Duck at the fair this year. He came up beside us as we were going into the fair. He was with his wife, and thankfully I was with Roger and not by myself, so we just slowed up a bit and his wife kept moving. But you are right, he just kept on going and going until it became uncomfortable.

Kimberly said...

As you know we live in the kind of world that makes you wonder about some individual like that. I think teaching our kiddos about the reality of our world is such an important responsiblity that we have. Stay away...creeps! :)

Unknown said...

I ran into Mr. Donald Duck voice too at Meijer. He creeps me out!!! I wonder if this guy just walks around at stores and fast food joints bored out of his mind????

Nicole said...

That is crazy. Thank the Good Lord I've not encountered any Donald Duck guys here :)