I think it's time.
I am, by nature, an eternal optimist. I always see the glass as half full....always. What I haven't shared with you is that I am also a worrier. I know...those don't seem to go well together. I worry about the state of our economy. I worry about my family and friends that are dealing with salary cuts....or even job loss. I am just torn up about those suffering right now. Absolutely TORN UP.
It scares me when I hear people say that it may take years before things improve. Years?! Can we all muddle through this that long? It really can be scary.
But as I think about all of this I have to look deep into my soul to find my true feelings about it and I have to tell you...my heart tells me that things will get better, and that God never gives us situations we can't handle if we have faith in Him.
These are scary times...no doubt about it...but a sense of calm can be achieved among the storm with our faith. I think that we are put into situations like this for 2 reasons...one is to help us develop our character and the other is to teach us.
When I look back at the scary times I've faced in my life I can see how God used every single moment to guide me and teach me...and ultimately to make me who I am today. Each moment, the good and the bad, helped form me. The current conditions are just another example of that. I've learned not to take financial stability for granted. I've learned that my parents taught me correctly when they taught me to "save for a rainy day"....and I will teach my children the same thing. I've learned how much each and every type of industry relies so much on eachother for their own growth and development.
I've learned that we are all in this together...and we'll get through it together.
Lastly, I think that the current economic conditions will always be a basis for which we will always refer back to. I can see us 10 years down the road saying, "Well, it's not as bad as it was back in 2008." These are times we may very well be telling our children about. Times that taught us more than we ever thought we would learn.
1. I've cut nearly $40 off of our weekly grocery bill by carefully planning our meals and ONLY buying what I need (which means I go through my cabinets with a fine tooth comb prior to grocery shopping).
2. We do not go out to eat as often, or indulge in shopping trips as often but - and this is important - we have not stopped doing either of these things. I think one of the worst things we can do is simply quit spending. Our economy will only worsen. We still indulge in these things...just in moderation.
3. I've always had a pretty tight hold on where our finances were going...but I am tightening that grip. I am currently working on getting a computer program that puts all of our spending into a pie graph so we can see exactly where each dollar goes. Having a firm grip on our finances helps me remain calm during these times.
4. I quit watching the news (for the most part). "Gloom and Doom" is what makes headlines and good lead stories. People feed into it like moths to a flame and that doesn't help. I try to keep my thoughts positive and the news off.
5. Pray. I personally don't like praying for financial matters...so I prefer to pray for guidance as Matt and I navigate our family through these tough times. I also pray for our new President that he may have the wisdom and knowledge he needs to make choices that will help all of us.
My hope is that you and your families are growing, learning, and putting your faith in God at this time. Take the time to focus your energy on all that you are thankful for and remember that this Happy Housewife is praying for you.
"Tough times never last...tough people do!"
9 comments:
Great post Jamie! We are watching our pennies too! my mom always says "Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." miss you!
Good post J.
Ditto - per Nicole's comment.
xoxo
Great post Jamie. I share your same beliefs on this topic and and have been making similar changes at our house!
I'm proud of your confession of faith. I tell myself every morning, "God is still in control" and He is!! Remember to bless those who are in need and you will receive a blessing in return. We pray for our grandkids and their parents every night. No matter how bad we think we have it, you can always find someone in worse shape (usually many others). God Bless, Grandma F
I think all of the things everyone does to cut back is great. However, if I understand it all...the fact that we cut back doesn't really help the economy. It helps us personally, but the cuts we make only create further tightness for the businesses we used to spend our money in. Does that make sense? It is kind of a terrible cycle.
I loved your comment about "indulging in moderation". I think that was perfectly put. I too have found myself in that situation - knowing it's not smart to completely stop, but needing to find the balance between the two. Great post!
- Sondra
Great lists! I think you and I think a lot alike...I've been feeling the humbug of the economy as well...
I even bought store brand soda the other day...gasp!! It really does taste like Diet Coke...really it does! :)
By the way...I became a follower if that's ok!
I love this post Bliss! Thanks for your honesty and insights!
I have started cutting coupons...I am so new at it. But it's really kind of fun:)
Post a Comment