Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

There are some moments in history that it seems time stand still. My mom still talks about the day JFK was killed. I vividly remember Challenger exploding. I also vividly remember the day Princess Diana died (I am a huge Princess Diana fan...always have been). On those specific days I can often remember where I was when I heard the news, who I was with, even small details down to what I was wearing. It is as if the world stopped moving for a few moments in time.

September 11th will always be one of those days for me...as I am sure it will be for many. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was teaching. I remember the buzz around the hallways with the teachers, but not questioning what it was (my class was taking a spelling test and I didn't want to interrupt their train of thought). When I finally took my class to music I stopped another teacher and asked her what the "buzz" was about. She looked at me with an expression I will never forget and said, "Jamie, we are under terrorist attack. They are hijacking our planes and flying them into buildings all over the United States". I just stood there in absolute and total shock - my mind was numb and racing at the same time. I then walked over the the window in the hallway of our school and noticed how beautiful it was outside - a bright blue clear sky - and was in disbelief that something so horrible and scary was going on as I stood there. I remember realizing how many peoples lives were forever going to be changed and silently praying. The remainder of the events of the day are forever etched in my mind.

Every year on September 11th I'm reminded that life is fragile and that we must handle it, not only with care, but also with prayer. I know some day my grandchildren will read about September 11th in their history books, and to them it will probably be just one more page that they are required to read - no more, no less. I feel honored that I was here to see that moment in history - although it was a sad moment - it was a brief moment when the United States put all other differences aside and stood together with faith, hope, and love.

"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran.
But I know Jesus and I talk to God and I remember this from when I was young,
faith, hope, and love are some good things He gave us...
but the greatest is love."
--Alan Jackson's song "When the World Stopped Turning"

9 comments:

Jami said...

Even being reminded of that day by reading your blog sent chills through by body. I, too, will forever remember 9-11.

Stacey said...

For me, it was the first time I laid in bed at night and didn't feel safe. Not a good feeling. How do people all over the world face that on a daily basis?

Anonymous said...

I had the day off from teaching and sat in front of the television the entire day. I, too, was in shock and numb! Great post and a great reminder to pray for the people who were affected by this tragic event.

Anonymous said...

I'll always remember watching one of the towers fall standing in the HMS office - as I walked back to my classroom, I literally was fighting back tears knowing I had to go explain to twenty some 13 year olds the destruction, devastation, and death that was occuring.

Good post J - proud of you!!

Anonymous said...

I worked the night before and for some reason that morning I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on. I would normally go to our bed instead of the couch. I remember waking up and watching the tragic event unfold, unable to go back to sleep. Even now, (we were just watching the history channel before I came to the computer) I cannot watch something about 9/11 without tears in my eyes. It is just crazy how in just a few short minutes the world can change. Loved your post Jamie!!!

Mom of Double A said...

Great thoughts Jamie!
I was driving to work during the first crash and I remember listening to Taylor Richards on U93 when they were trying to decide what it was that was happening.
When I got to the hotel, every eye in the breakfast area was glued to the TV and everyone had such fear/disbelief in their eyes.
We visited ground zero 6 months after the attacks and it was just so gut wrenchingly sad to think about the events of that day.

Anonymous said...

I also remember exactly what I was doing on that day....I don't think I will ever forget. Good post Jamie, I think it makes us all stop and appreciate what we have!

Nicole said...

what a neat post! I was also with a group of kiddos that day and will never forget it either! It was hard to comprehend at the time. I have always felt pretty safe here in the US but that day it did open my eyes up to praying more and more for our country!

Anonymous said...

Great job J~~
I too will always remember where I was and who I was with. I'll never forget the face of a fellow teacher and she and I stood there watching the 2nd plane hit the towers with tears streaming down her face. And what a great moment it was that night when the town of Rochester came together as one and prayed for our nation.
love you
Kat