Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Absolutely Disgusting!

I usually buy nearly all organic fruits and veggies, but at the grocery store this week the non-organic apples were such a great price. I also LOVE hard Red Delicious apples....and they don't always have that variety in organic...AND they are in season. So I went ahead and bought them. When I got home I soaked them in all natural veggie wash (as I always do with all of my veggies) but I accidentally forgot about them for a good hour. When I returned this is what I found...

Yes, that is the wax and chemicals that are sprayed on the apples to make them so shiny and perfect looking. I tried to be rational and decided that I had already bought them I would just scrub it off until I felt that all the harmful chemicals were off....but I couldn't get it off.
It is literally stuck on there. The only way I think I could get it off is to soak each side for at least an hour in that veggie wash. Again, I tried to be rational and I looked it up on the Internet to find out exactly what kind of chemicals are used on apples. Absolutely gross. Needless to say, this Happy Housewife is sticking to organic!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so disgusting! My kids won't eat the skin on apples so I have to peel them before I cut them. I know the skin is where a lot of the fiber is, but after seeing this I am glad they don't eat it. Maybe I will be checking out organic!

Nicole said...

Wow I can't believe how nasty that is! I try to always buy organic milk and meat and sometimes fruit or veggies depending on what is on sale but wow I think I will stick with organic! Very sweet pictures of your kiddos sleeping as well! I take lots of sleeping pictures, they just look so sweet and innocent :)

The Johnsons said...

Oh my gosh, I really never paid attention and just bought regular produce etc...never have really thought about buying organic. I WILL NOW! What organic veggie wash do you use? I don't use that either! I just use water pretty much.....hmmm since it's not just me anymore I guess I need to be thinking about this stuff! Thanks for opening my eyes Jaime! :)

Anonymous said...

On a list of the top 10 fruits and vegetables you should buy organic... apples are #1 - because of the amount and types of sprays used on them. Great visual of actually seeing the effects of this stuff on fruits. Imagine what it can do to our bodies!!! My kind of post, and GOOD post, Jump!!!

Anonymous said...

That is nasty!!!! Good post J.

Stacey said...

Yikes! that is gross! I always thought the store bought apples were so hard to chew. I LOVE fresh off the tree apples, perhaps I am an apple snob?

Anonymous said...

I just got done eating an apple without washing it! I want to throw up! I normally use a produce wash for everything too, but left in a hurry. Thank you so much for the pictures. It really opened my eyes. I think we'll be sticking to organic from now on too!

Mike and Katie said...

I used apple boxes during our last move and it has the chemicals they used listed on the box.

Too bad we moved to a place where 3# of organic apples are $7.99.

Lord, protect us and save us in the end!

Katie

I love your blog title.

Christy said...

That is completely gross.