For those of you that thought my post on the apples was gross - I have some information for you! I decided to do a little science experiment. As I said before, I looked on the Internet at the kinds of chemicals and waxes they put on apples and it was just disgusting. It did say that organic apples also use a wax to make them shiny...but it's a different kind of wax. My friend Kim said I should I buy organic apples and let them sit in the veggie wash to see what happens.
That is exactly what I did today. Again, I let them stay in the wash at least an hour....and guess what? Absolutely nothing came off of them. They looked like the exact same beautiful apples I bought. This Happy Housewife is hooked....I'm only buying organic apples from now on! Oh...and my mom (who is always up-to-date with anything to do with health food) told me that on a list of the top 10 produce items you should buy organic - apples were number ONE! No wonder. Happy eating my friends.
5 comments:
good experiment Jamie!! or should I say Dr. Jamie.
hey- that is completely gross! I wonder what another product would do...Have you ever tried Basic H from shaklee on those waxy apples? I was sicked out....Do you think that's how all apples are or just the shiney ones?
Hi! I think it's how all non-organic apples probably are. The wash that I used was an all natural wash (similiar to Basic H, just a different brand - Sunrider).
I've actually heard that peaches are number one, but apples are right up there. Peaches have a softer skin (fuzzy too) which makes it more suseptable to pesticides. I buy a lot of organic produce, eggs and meat. Love your blog!!!
Kelli from Florida :)
Hello Kelli! So nice to "meet" you!!! I knew I had a Florida reader (I always see it on my map), but always wondered who it was!! Maybe it was you!!! Please come back and visit soon...I love hearing from my readers! Have a great day.
Post a Comment