The vaccine debate is something that all parents deal with...whether you are completely for vaccines or completely against them (or like me where you are stuck in the middle). We can not deny that this is a HOT topic for parents right now.
This is a topic that I have actually done a LOT of research on. It is important to me that I am as informed as possible so that my husband and I can make the best possible choices for our children. As a former teacher I totally understand the idea of vaccines and protecting our children from childhood illnesses. We all want our children to be safe and healthy. On the other hand, I completely understand why some choose NOT to give their children vaccines. There are many negative side effects, and the research showing the possible link to autism is really scary.
Eva had all of her vaccines, except the MMR. Our original plan was that she would have that vaccine before starting school. Jaden has not had any vaccines. Our original plan was that he would start the vaccine schedule on a delayed plan. I could go into all of the "why we did what we did" for both of them, but I really don't think you are overly interested in that. What I DO want to share with you is some new information I found!
I found a facility in this area that specializes in medical AND holistic medicine (if you want to know where please contact me directly). I called them right away and set up an appointment to go over all of my findings regarding vaccines and to see what they could do to help me navigate the vaccine puzzle. What I really loved about this place is the mixture of traditional medical beliefs and holistic beliefs. In the past I have found that doctors trained in traditional medicine feel that children should have ALL vaccines - no exceptions. I do not agree with that. I have found that truly holistic doctors think that children should have absolutely NO vaccines - no exceptions. I also do not agree with that. I was anxious to find out what kind of information this facility that mixes the two beliefs could tell me.
After my appointment today I was elated. I felt like we had a plan! They really took the time to go through my children's medical histories and help me come up with a vaccine plan that was good for my children. In short, my children will be receiving some of their vaccines, but not all of them. Here are some other tips they gave me:
* Thimerosal was taken out of vaccines by government mandate, but it was never mandated that doctors had to pull it off the shelves. When you take your child in for a vaccine ask to see the vial it comes in to verify that it does not contain Thimerosal.
* Do not start vaccines until after age 2
* Do not give your children any vaccines within 3 months of an X-ray.
* You can have vaccines spread out (for example, you do not have to have the MMR in one dose. You can have the measles vaccine, then the mumps vaccine later, and finally the rubella vaccine after that)
* Never have silver fillings put in your children's mouth - they contain mercury (this obviously did not have to do with vaccines, but we ended up talking about a lot of things).
* Do not give your children fluoride drops. I have read this before and I make sure our children do not have fluoride in their toothpaste, but it was interesting to hear it from a medical doctor!
These were merely some topics we talked about today. I am fully aware that not everyone will agree with everything I believe or have posted. Regardless of beliefs regarding this issue we are all trying to do what is best for our family and I completely respect that! If you do want more information on any of my findings please contact me!!
5 comments:
Hi Jamie.
Good info.
We just happened to be at Austin's 2 yr. check up this morning and she gave us a prescription for fluoride drops.
Can you tell me more about why they recommend not doing that?
We have well water and I thought they needed the supplement b/c of that.
I'd love to know your findings before I fill the prescription.
Hey Jill. First of all, you don't have to take any of my advice and I will still think you are a wonderful mommy!! Anyway, a lot that I have read about flouride is that it is simply a poison. It is often called a "supplement" but it has absolutely no nutritional value besides helping to prevent tooth decay. On the other hand, it does have many negative side effects - some of which would not be noticible for years and years. They are suggesting that part of the reason young girls are hitting puberty at such an early age has to do with the amount of flouride that has become acceptable in our culture. Again, they still need to do considerable testing on that theory. I have more information on this if you want to talk about it further just give me a call!!
Miss you!
Jamie,
I also would like to know what they said about fluoride drops. Both of my kids are on them. I wondered if they were needed. I talked to a dentist who told me he sees a huge difference in tooth decay, between those that fluoride and those that don't. I then decided that it must be needed. Let me know what your doc told you! Thanks for the info Jamie! Reese's 1 year is 1 month away.
Hi, Jamie.
I'm glad you could find a doctor with a middle ground on the vaccine issue for you. Especially having two boys (who are much more likely, statistically, to develop autism) I have been interested in, and researched this issue as well. I have vaccinated my kids on the "recommended schedule" but not without a lot of thinking and talking and researching. It's a hard issue. I like the idea of spreading the vaccines out more.
I know that parents have to do their own research regarding flouride. We actually do give flouride to both of our kids after researching it further.
From what I have researched and heard from the dentist and doctor, there can be too much flouride in a child's diet with water, supplement, toothpaste, etc. There are negative effects with that. However, that is pretty rare and if you have a well (which we do), kids get barely any flouride which is essential to growing teeth (i.e. permanent teeth) and to prevent tooth decay. Our pediatric dentist is adament that our children take flouride.
It's a tough issue and we all try to make the best decision for our kids we can. Just thought I'd add my two cents!
Hey...
Good info! My children have both been vaccinated on the recommended schedule by our family Dr. I didn't realize all that stuff about fluoride though. My kids have never been on a fluoride supplement. We have city water but we have a filter system that from what I understand takes the fluoride out of our drinking water. Our dental hygenist told me they don't need a lot of fluoride to keep their teeth healthy. I do buy toothpaste with fluoride for Ethan bc he is able to spit after brushing. Since Aiden is younger I don't let him use that toothpaste yet bc he would just swallow it. After they brush they rinse and sometimes drink a little water from the sink which is not filtered and therefore has fluoride. Ethan has also been to the dentist since he turned 3 and has NEVER had a cavity or any dental issues. Our dentist told us that a lot of the times good teeth are just inherited, some people just don't get a good set of chompers!!!! I do believe you have to take care of your teeth though and brush at least twice a day and FLOSS!!!!
Post a Comment