Sunday, June 22, 2008

Salsa Recipe

My friend Stacey asked for my salsa recipe so I posted it below. This recipe comes from a family friend of ours that moved here from Mexico - so it is quite authentic! However, just like all good recipes that have been passed down through generations there is no real "recipe" as far as amounts of ingredients. I would encourage you to alter it until it suits your tastes. I love the smoother texture and blend of flavors! Enjoy!!

Salsa:

1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 regular size can of mexican tomatoes
sliced jalapenos (I've used the kind in the jar, as well as fresh and both turn out great however if you use fresh you need to grill them and peel off the skin....obviously the jar variety is much easier)
garlic powder
cilantro (again, I've used both fresh and dried)
lemon juice

In blender combine a handful of jalapenos, cilantro, a dash or two of garlic powder, and a small squirt of lemon juice. Blend. Add mexican tomatoes. Blend. Finally, add crushed tomatoes and blend until smooth. This keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I had to make a second batch, because the first one was gone in one night!

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

So glad you enjoy it Kim!!! It's definitely one of our favorites too!! Then again, we have a one year old that loves salsa and guacamole...we tend to like the spicy stuff here!! HA!!!

Jamie

Stacey said...

Thanks Jamie! I can't wait to try it!