Friday, May 2, 2008

It's Fiesta Time!!

As promised, I want to include some of my favorite recipes in this blog. I am always looking for new recipes to make for my family and enjoy trying different things. This recipe comes thanks to my sister. She made if for me last year and I loved it! The odd thing is that if I would have seen this recipe in a magazine I would have skipped over it because it doesn't sound that good on paper, and I would have been worried about finding Hungarian peppers in our supermarket. Rest assured, the recipe is wonderful and Hungarian peppers were a breeze to find! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Spicy Peppers

2 lbs. ground sirloin (you can use beef or whatever your family prefers)
1 tube of Bob Evans spicy sausage
1 chopped onion (optional - I use 1/2 of an onion)
1 fresh jalapeno (remove the seeds and chop) Note: removing the seeds also reduces the heat
2 packages taco seasoning
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 can rotel tomatoes
6 - 10 Hungarian Peppers (chopped in bite size pieces)
shredded cheese (I use pepperjack - you can use whatever you prefer)

Brown ground sirloin and sausage together. Add onion and jalapeno. Drain any fat. Add Taco seasoning, crushed tomatoes, and Rotel tomatoes.

In a deep casserole dish layer meat sauce , cheese, and Hungarian peppers. Bake covered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

I serve this with warm tortillas (we prefer to put the casserole in the tortilla like a taco). I also serve Mexican rice, chips, and salsa with it.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

You are so good at the Jaime! I'm so glad your a blogger now :) You make me want to be better!!!