Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Boys vs. Girls

I am often asked if I see a difference between raising a boy and raising a girl. The question use to bother me because I view ALL children as a gift from God, each with their own unique personalities. I didn't think it was fair to judge them by gender. I have thought a lot about my views on this topic lately and talked to a lot of people about it. I've come to the conclusion that I still believe all children have their own unique personalities, but certain traits are more common in certain genders. For example, when Eva was a baby I could sit her on the kitchen floor with a few Tupperware pieces and she was content the whole time I made dinner. Jaden, on the other hand, is into EVERYTHING he can get his little paws on. He is SOOOOO curious. Also, Eva would play very quietly and look at books for long periods of time. Jaden is absorbed with anything he can bang, hammer, or will make a loud sound. A nurse once gave me fantastic advice when she found out I was expecting a boy. She said, "Remember that boys are a lot more active than most girls....but don't ever confuse that with being more naughty." That made a lot of sense to me and I've referred to that advice often in raising a boy. Jaden loves to get into things and figure things out...but he is not being naughty - he is just learning! I thought I would leave you with some pictures of Jaden from this past weekend. I took them during the whole 15 minutes it took me to get ready. I would love to hear your views on raising specific genders too!!!!!

"Let's seeee.....mom washes her hair with these things...I'll just set them right here on the shower floor so that when she trips on them she knows just where they are!"

"Hmmm....I know that blow dryer thing is in here somewhere and it makes A LOT of sound!!"

"This is the way mommy puts on her make-up....my future football coach will be so proud!"

"Decisions, Decisions...should I pull just one pair of pants off the shelf or ALL of them?!"
"A boy is Truth with dirt on his face,
Beauty with a cut on his finger,
Wisdom with bubblegum in his hair,
and Hope for the future with a frog in his pocket"
--Anonymous

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Jamie! That is tooooo cute! Jayden is so precious! I too see the differences in boys and girls. Olivia seemed to be so gentle about things and Logan will plow you over to get to whatever toy he wants! And he is much more tough! If he falls, he just shakes it off and keeps going!!! I will say this, however, Logan gives the BEST (not always gentle, does he mean to pull my hair?) hugs!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashli said...

Amen to the short attention span, noise, and curiosity of boys! I absolutely LOVE it! (Although it is frustrating at times when I can't find my things to get ready because he has them on or they are thrown on the other side of the bathroom, bedroom, and or closet! I love the closet pictures of Jaden...that is exactly Gavin. I can't show anyone my closet because he constantly has it torn apart!