Friday, May 23, 2008

The Cost of Groceries

After the poll closed on grocery shopping I felt much better. Our family is definitely in the $126 and up catergory when it comes to our weekly grocery bill and 33% of you are also in that range. Another 33% were spending $101 - $125 to feed your family. Part of the reason I feel we spend so much is that we have an infant that is still in diapers. Diapers are pricey and I've never found an "off " brand that works as well as Pampers. The other reason our grocery bill is so high is that we buy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies - many of them organic. I've read numerous times that you should try to do the majority of your grocery shopping on the outer edges of the supermarket (not down the aisles where pre-packaged food is sold) because the healthier items are on the outer ring. It makes sense. The outer ring of the grocery store holds all of the fresh fruits and veggies, fresh meats, and dairy products. I try hard to make healthy meals for my family - the old saying "you are what you eat" is true. This has become even more important to me after our scare with Jaden. It may sound odd, but when we thought he may be sick it made me feel so good to know that the only things that had gone into his little body since birth were wholesome foods - most organic. So, my fellow readers, I leave you with one of my favorite healthy recipes! Remember - healthy eating can be delicious AND nutritious!

Veggie Mix (great grilled or in the oven)

Cut the following into large pieces:
Red Potatoes
Roasted Red Peppers
Artichoke Hearts
Zucchini
(Add or delete and veggies your family likes)

Sprinkle with 3 T. olive oil, onion powder, garlic salt, paprika, and a little parmesan cheese.

Bake (or grill) covered at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. This is GREAT with a burger or chicken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I wasn't sure when I voted if we were including diapers wipes and pullups ect, if I include those I am definatly in the highest category so take 1 vote away from 101-125 and add it to 126+!!!!

Stef