Monday, January 16, 2012

To blog or not to blog....that is the question.

Recently I have had a lot of friends that have considered starting a blog.  The questions are usually the same, "Should I start one??"  and quickly followed with, "What would I write about??"

I am a girl that ALWAYS encourages people to start a blog....but blogging has pros and cons.  Let's take a look at them shall we?

PROS:
1.  Blogging allows me to record my days...especially since I print it off into book format.  It also takes A LOT less time than scrapbooking or even journaling!
2.  Blogging gives me a voice.  Let's face it, I spend the majority of my day with a 7 and 4 year old.  They don't want to discuss my lifelong bucket list or my spring fashion essentials.  I also love photography and my blog allows me a place to share some of it.
3.  Comments are always fun.....and comments often lead to meeting new people!  I have a friend that lives hundreds of miles away from here that I got to know simply because we started commenting on eachothers blogs.  We've talked on the phone a few times and exchange Christmas cards every year.  Another blogger, Living in Yellow, I finally met at Christmas Eve when I ran into her at our church!  It's soooo fun to meet new people!

CONS:
1.  You must be careful....and safe.  If you choose to blog do all you can to protect yourself.  Some choose to make their blogs private.  At this point I have not felt a strong need to do that, however I don't mention last names, where we live, etc. on my blog for safety reasons. 
2.  I have yet to meet ANYONE that blogs that doesn't get frustrated by comments.....or lack of.  I've been there too.  This blog gets over 1000 hits a week and I usually average about 2 comments.  Crazy huh?  It can get frustrating because, as a blogger, you really do LOVE hearing from people!!!!

In all, for me, the pros outweigh the cons by a landslide.  Blogging has become part of my life....and I truly believe it will be for a long long time.  Sooo....if you are thinking about starting one - DO IT!  Give it at least a shot and see how much you enjoy it (trust me, I was really nervous too....in fact, THIS was my first post EVER).  Also, if you regularly read a blog - take the time to leave a comment.  Even if it's a simple "Hi"....the blogger will really appreciate it (and you never know where a friendship may blossom)!

Hugs to all....
Jamie

5 comments:

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

Aww thanks for the shout out, it was so good to finally meet you too :) I couldn't agree more with this post..I never knew what I was getting into with blogging, it has definitely turned into a passion of mine this past year. All thanks to YOU for motivating me to start one even though you had no idea ;)

Ps. What company do you use to print your blog book? I'm interested!

Anonymous said...

Immensely enjoy your way with words on your blogs and I love how you make photobooks outa em! You're a great Mama!!

emily said...

Hey! I thought I would leave a comment, as I read your blog often but I'm sure you don't know who I am. I guess the reason I never comment is because I don't want to sound creepy, since we don't know each other, but I think your family is so sweet! I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this website but keep the great posts coming!

Nicole said...

You are so sweet! And I am for sure guilty of not commenting :) I truly enjoy reading your blog but just simply don't always take the time to comment on the many blogs I follow! I love relating as a mom and a wife with you! Keep up the awesome work it is a blessing to read your blog!

Anonymous said...

I did it Jam! I feel so clueless though...a step at a time for me.