But this year was a little different.
I had to back out of my annual girls trip to Chicago I take with two of my dear friends (more on that later). A fun afternoon was changed because Eva got sick at school and had to be picked up....and a fun evening was changed because Eva was home from school today.
Hmmm....not the plan I had.
Don't get me wrong, there were some bright spots in the day - Matt sent me some beautiful flowers, he and the kiddos brought me breakfast in bed (complete with a candle and singing), and the many calls from family and friends.
But again, it wasn't the way it was planned.
Last night, after the kids were asleep (and my sweet husband had apologized for the millionth time that my day was a bit of a bust) I sat in the dark by the fire and started thinking about things. Sure, my day was not as I had planned.....but that really didn't matter.
I have an amazing husband that I can't seem to get enough of.
I have kids that seriously rock my world.
I have a network of friends and family that are worth their weight in gold.
I have health.
I am happy.
As much as I am a girl that looooves alllllll the hoopla that goes along with birthdays (and don't get me wrong, there WILL be hoopla in the future)....I know that isn't what it is all about. I am blessed in so many ways.
And because of THAT I know that my birthday yesterday - at home, taking care of my little girl, eating take out, and playing games with my two favorite guys by the glow of the fireplace - was absolutely PERFECT.
"Life: It is about the gift, not the package it come in."
--Dennis P. Costea Jr.
3 comments:
Sorry we were a day late....The gilrs and I loved singing to you! Happy Birthday to THE BEST sister-in-law a girl could ever ask for!
love you!
Kat
You lead a charmed life.
Isn't motherhood full of surprises-sometimes not the way we want. But with a supportive family, and you have the very best, life is good. You are a beautiful person. Grandma F.
Post a Comment