But they do not represent all parts of my world.
Let me explain..
Once I became a mother my life revolved around my newborn. I lived, ate, slept (well...not really), and breathed motherhood. Not much else seemed to matter. Quite honestly, I couldn't even tell you what day it was...but I could easily tell you the last time my little one had a bowel movement and exactly how long they slept that day.
And I truly believe that is how it should be at that time.
But it shouldn't be like that forever.
In my years as a Mommy I've seen an epidemic I like to refer to as the Incredible Shrinking Mommy. As women we have goals, dreams, and aspirations. We have hobbies and interests.
And then we get married and start a family.
But I don't want to lose me in the process.
Once I was a full-time Mommy I realized that I lost a little bit reality. It was harder for me to carry on a conversation that didn't involve something to do with my children. I was not up on current events. I had let any hobbies or dreams I had to be put on hold. My life was my child.
And then it hit me that I wasn't sure I liked that.
As much as I would love it if my little ones would stay tiny - they won't.
Children grow. Life marches on.
I'm so lucky that I have this awesome guy that I am eventually going to grow old with...and I want to still be a vibrant woman full of loves, passions, and interests at that point! I don't want my children to "fly from the nest" and be in a position where I don't know what to do with myself. I basically realized I didn't want to hit 60 and have my only fulfillment in life be that I raised awesome kids. Trust me...that is TOP NOTCH on my priority list, but it's important that I also achieve other goals and dreams. I want to live my life with passion and grow each and every day.
And the mom in me wants my kids to see that and I want them to know that it is important.
And so I did.
I have always loved photography and have taken the steps needed to further my skills. I love blogging and have declared it MINE...I write what I want! I have always wanted to write a children's book and have started jotting down ideas as they form in my head. I have also found that my soul finds painting soothing and calming.
To put it simply, I took simple steps to put ME back on the map.
And more than that...I think I've become a better person because of it.
My prayer is that I have a long and beautiful life ahead of me. I have a lot to learn. I have a lot to share. I have a lot of growin' to do.
I hope that when my handsome husband and I are old and gray he is still married to a woman that is passionate about life.
And I hope that my children see me learning, growing, and following my dreams.
And I hope that they see it's important.
And I hope that when they are older they each have a family that they love and care for.
And I hope that family always comes first...but that they also learn to dream with their eyes wide open.
8 comments:
Jamie, this is so beautifully written! I loved our conversation about this very subject the other day! Thanks for being real, you are an awesome mommy, wife and friend. Love you bunches!
I could not have said it better! Not a word, Jamie. And seriously, we are so much alike. Even have ideas for a children's book penned in my journal. :)
I think all of this will definitly make you a better wife, mommy, sister, and friend (not that you aren't already)!!! Rock on Momma!!!
Yay! I went through this part of my life almost a year and a half ago (I actually blogged about it too!) I started photography and running...two things that only I can accomplish and learn to do...only for Amy! So proud of you girl! You're going to do great! So wish we lived closer...we'd have a blast!
oxoxox
Brought a tear to my eye....for I am so proud of you, and thankful, for the type of mother, wife, friend, and woman you are!!
You put things in words so well Jamie! I am so thankful for our talks and reflections on this subject. When we are old, cute and still a whole lot of fun!!, I know that friendship will also help with this, keeping it real and being true to ourselves! This reflection is so you and I adore you freind!
Whoa. You just summed up my whole world for the past two months in one blog post. Well done! I couldn't have said it better myself. I am currently working to roll out the next step of my invitation/stationery business and have been overwhelmed with all the same feelings you wrote about here! Thank you for sharing and keep plugging forward with your photography and book goals!
Amen Sister! Hope you're enjoying your new camera at this very moment...you deserve it!! P.S. Love your blog-very cute!
Post a Comment