Thursday, May 7, 2009

The start of something beautiful...

I am growing a garden this year. It's the first garden I've had since I was a very little girl. Let's just say I have a lot to learn...but isn't that some of the fun in a new adventure like this?! Some of my friends have asked that I blog occasionally about my garden because they would like to possibly start a garden next year and they are hoping they can learn from me...triumphs and mistakes! So enjoy the first post on my gardening journey...

We started by digging up an area for the garden. I originally was going to keep my garden very small with only a few veggies...but as time went on Matt and I realized there is a lot out there that we would love to try growing! So it's bigger than originally anticipated...but still not huge. Matt and Eva dug up sod last weekend and tilled it for me. Eva is such a hard worker...I admire so much about her work ethic at such a young age.


As of yesterday everything is planted. Some things we planted from seeds, and other things we used plants for. We also planted flowers (marigolds) along the edges of the garden. I have been told they will help keep the bunnies away...and besides that I just think they look pretty!


We have potatoes, onions, beans, green peppers, tomatoes, basil, and cilantro. As you can tell from the pictures, Eva and Jaden helped me plant nearly everything. For those of you that have little ones, this is an awesome experience for them! I've already found that within the garden many lessons are to be learned...for all of us.



"Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow."
--Anonymous



5 comments:

Mom said...

Love this post, Jump!
xoxo

Kimberly said...

Jamie, You are amazing! I love the garden, the awesome photos and the fact that you are so positive. Your friendship means the world to me! Great post! I can't wait to see your garden prosper!

Tara said...

Jamie- You will love having a garden! We have had so much fun doing it the past couple of years with the boys. Just a couple words of advice...we tried the marigolds and it did not keep the bunnies away. They loved our green bean plants and ate them to the nub. I had even heard that they would stay away if you put human hair so when Jim would cut the boys hair we would try to do that...didn't work either! We finally had to get a little wire fence to put around it to keep those hungry bunnies away!

Also we did sunflowers the past couple of years and the boys were so amazed at the and how big they would grow! Kinda fun to see the difference in how big the flower was compared to the boys!! Another photo oportunity!

Good luck with your garden...if you are like us every year you will continue to make it a little bigger and add a few more things to try!

Sandy said...

Jamie, would you like to be a guest on my blog and use this post? Email me! Love, S

Corey, Julie, Trevin & Logan said...

Ran into your blog via some other blogs. LOVE your tomato plant/tiller photos!!! Very neat effect!