Let's chat for a minute about the TLC show Jon and Kate Plus Eight. As long as you haven't been stuck in a hole the last year or so I'm sure you know which show I am talking about. I began watching this show occasionally when it first came out and promptly stopped because the way Kate would treat Jon would drive me UP a wall.
Many friends would bring up the show and I could not join in the conversation except to point out that I couldn't stand Kate's attitude towards her husband. Although I would always laugh and add that if I was raising 8 children under the age of 8 WHO KNOWS what my attitude would be like! Ha!
Well, last night was the season premiere and I can assure you my attitude would NOT be what I witnessed last night. Let me start off by saying I watched this premiere against my better judgement. Jon and Kate have been in the news a lot lately because they are having some problems "in paradise" so to speak. Jon and Kate's faces have been splashed on the cover of every magazine I pass in the supermarket. Soooooo....last night after the kiddies had gone to sleep my curiosity got the best of me and I turned on the season premiere.
I can NOT tell you how SAD it made me. Not for Jon. Not for Kate.
My heart was literally breaking for those poor children. They have never been asked for their lives to be broadcast to the world. They are so, so young. Yes, I'm sure they've had a lot of experiences they would have otherwise never had....but now their family is breaking up and it is happening on NATIONAL TELEVISION. I felt like I was watching a train wreck - but the passengers were helpless children - and I couldn't stop it.
I was FLOORED by the way Jon and Kate could not even sit on the same couch together. Helllooooo???!!! Your children will see this. Who knows...THEIR children could see this. I am just absolutely appalled that they would let this all play out for the world without thinking for a MOMENT about the impact this will have on their children.
Not only was I deeply disappointed in the decisions made by the Gosslin family, but I was also disappointed in TLC network for broadcasting this. Yes, I know...there is probably big money in it...but when did it become alright to exploit the feelings of children like that?
It bothered me....a lot. I actually woke up in the middle of the night and was thinking about it (yes, I can be crazy like that sometimes)!
So, I am curious about your thoughts on this. How do you feel about the show in general and the recent turns in it?
9 comments:
I watched when the show FIRST came on. But now, I can't watch. It's painful to watch how they treat eachother. We'll probably never know the truth of what is going on between them ( guess it's not our business...) but like you - I feel sad for the kids. It's time for Jon and Kate to grow up and stop thinking about the monetary gain from their show. Think about their FAMILY instead! GRRR... makes me frustrated!
I think the fact that cameras are in their faces all day long is going to seriously do even more damange to this family who are already in a fragile state. I hope they can think about the kids, and put them first.
Hey J- I know we have talked about this show before. I used to watch it, but I can't anymore, it makes me sick. I did tune in last night bc of all the hype and Jon and Kate just kept saying everything they do is for their kids. Well then maybe you should stop the show, for your kids! I think they have gotten used to a certain lifestyle that the show provides and they feel even if they quit the show it is to late to turn back time, bc people are so curious now, their lives will never be the same. You never see their family or many of their friends that you once saw in the show.......makes you wonder. Pretty sad but it looks like it is just them and all their money now.
My feelings exactly! The entire family was sleeping last night and I put on the show to catch what the world was watching...I won't be turning it on again...it truly made me sad! Makes me hug my hubby even more...we've got stress just like most marriages...but I will never treat him as if he's just a helpmate...so controlling!
TLC should offer them an 'out' and hopefully they'll work on their marriage and make it survive!
I feel badly for those children...like you said they did not ask for their lives to be all over TV. Now, I do watch because they are adorable (I DVR it and I didn't watch last night), but I don't care for the way Kate talks to Jon. I wish they would have settle their issues before returning to TV OR just not returned at all. Money seems to be doing the talking and that bothers me the most I think.
I watched last night too - I have my suspicions that Jon and Kate are making the situation worse than it is just for ratings. Why else would they air their dirty laundry? Either way, those kids are getting screwed. I always thought that Kate had it so together - she'd make organic meals and make sure her kids got opportunites like ski trips, even if it meant more work for her. Know I wonder if her values are in the right place. I understand needing to make money for her kids, but not at the price of her marriage. Kids need happy parents first.
Oh Boy, I have so many emotions running through my head about this show. I've watched since the beginning.
Angry-at Kate for putting her family into this situation b/c of her obvious love of fame and fortune.
Embarassed-for Jon and how he represented himself last night
Sympathetic-to Jon for being drug along on this "reality show" that he obviously doesn't want to be part of anymore.
Confused-Kate for saying she is doing this all for their kids, but is perhaps too blind to see what is going on around her.
Sad-for the kids.
Grateful--that it's not me that has to make those decisions!
But, we all watched last night, which is exactly what TLC wanted and it will feed the madness even more.
I just can't stop watching it.
It also made me very sad to watch. I like watching the show b/c my oldest is about the same age as the 6. However, it was so sad at their birthday party that Jon and Kate couldn't even be around each other and hold it together for the sake of the children. Their family needs a miracle!!
Ugghhh! Super sad! Are they maybe locked into a contract? Otherwise, I really can't see how they would've even filmed that...And what about the whole "vow renewal" last year? what was that? It kind of seemed like Jon resented the fact that Kate's book became a big deal, even though at the same time he is receiving the benefits ($$$$$$$$$).
Sorry...I know that it's not the view shared by most, but I felt really bad for Kate! Sure makes you thankful for a wonderful, faithful husband...
Post a Comment