Monday, May 18, 2009

Breathe.

I've mentioned previously how much I love driving on a sunny day...sunroof open, windows down, and a great tune on the radio. I truly believe it's therapeutic for me. It relaxes me and makes me smile. Today I saw my love of this transpired in my little ones...

We were driving home this afternoon on some back country roads. After spending quite awhile talking together Eva and Jaden asked for the IPod to be turned on (I still laugh when I hear Jaden say in his little voice, "IPod ON!!!" from the backseat). I turned on a great summer song, rolled down all the windows, and opened the sunroof. Eva and Jaden's faces immediately lit up...they know their mama loves to do this. I let the sun beat down on my head and the wind whip my hair all over. I took a deep breath in and exhaled deeply. I love this feeling. I was seriously soaking in every single minute of it.

And then I turned around to look at my little ones.

After some time giggling and singing along to the music they both got kind of quiet. When I turned around Jaden had his eyes closed, his arms straight out to his sides (as if he was flying), and the biggest smile on his face. The air from the windows blew right in on his face and my little guy was soaking in the feeling of the sun and the wind just like his mama.

His sister was just as quiet with her head tilted up and as close to the window as her booster seat would allow - letting the wind whip her hair around.

I smiled. So simple...but so important to me. I hope my children always find joy and peace in the simple things and I hope they always remember that in life the little things (like the sun on your face and the wind in your hair) are really the big things.

9 comments:

Stef said...

So cute! I was doing the same thing today with Aiden driving to pick Ethan up from school. Sunroof and windows open, music on...but when I looked back at Aiden he was asleep! I guess it has a relaxing effect on him to, but it just knocks him out cold! HAHA!

andreawilliams said...

Fun stuff!! I love driving with the windows on and music going. Simple things!

Loukia said...

Aww, so cute! That must have made you so very happy, to see them enjoying something so simple. Things like that always put a huge smile on my face, too!

Angel said...

I can't wait for that! (I always feel like George is getting the wind knocked out of him with the windows down :)). Maybe he'll be big enough this summer! Sounds great...

Matt said...

You mean you allowed more than just two fingers? :) Why do I picture Jaden like a dog with his tongue hanging out, with drool all over??

Love you babe!

The Sophisticated Country Girl said...

Such a fun entry to read Jamie..... I love the saying the little things today are the big things tomorrow... it is SO true. I "breathed" today too... but I was alone...times like that are sooo much better when shared! ...especially with little people.

Jami said...

The simple things can bring so much joy!

My boys also love to have the windows down. Cade cracks me up when he moves his head close to the window so the wind hits him in the face just at the right angle that it makes it hard to catch your breath (know what I mean?) and then he just giggles and giggles. Kids...gotta love 'em!

Kimberly said...

AAHH! The simple joys of gifts from above. Days like that seem to be when I feel most at ease and almost that God is there with us, giving us the fresh air. The beauty of a spring day!

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

But, I bet you weren't listening to milli vinilli or bobby brown this time like you did back in the days!!!