Sunday, May 17, 2009

Let's Make the World a Better Place...

Eva recycling veggie corndog packaging
My friend Kim and I have always said that our childrens' generation is the generation that will save this planet. I was not raised recycling, I didn't think about the ozone layer (which was obvious by the CAN of hairspray I would go through each week as a teen to keep those bangs skyhigh and waterproof), and I never thought about the carbon fingerprint I would leave on the world. It just wasn't common when I was a child. As I've grown I've made little changes here and there and if you have read my blog for awhile you know that last summer Matt and I decided it was time to join the recycling world. I was fully aware we were a bit behind the craze...but there is good news...

My daughter has made up for ANY lost time we had in the world of recycling.

I'm serious.

This little girl of mine is a recycling QUEEN. I will feel like I am on top of the whole recycling thing and she will literally dig through the trash and come up with a TON of items I missed. She then will look at me with her little eyebrows raised and simply say, "Mommy, alllll of this can be recycled."

Crazy how our children teach us.

She is consistently checking absolutely anything that is heading to the trash to see if it can be recycled. I swear she can spot the recycling sign from a mile away. Tonight I was throwing away the plastic from a pack of diapers and my little girl studied that plastic wrap from every single angle to see if she could recycle it.

We now recycle absolutely everything that can be recycled. Everything. That's right, my little girl is doing her part to save the world one little milk carton at a time and I love her that much more for it.

"We are the world....we are the children...it's true we'll make a brighter day, just you and me."
--Lyrics to "We Are the World"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Too cute! I love it when kids get involved! On another note, i can't believe how much my kids love morningstar corndogs! We can't buy them fast enough around here! Miss you!!!

Stacey said...

sorry that one was from me. :)

Jami said...

Eva sounds like me! I am always finding things in the trash that got thrown away on accident. Eric makes fun of me all of the time.

Kimberly said...

Go Eva!! Love You!