Friday, January 2, 2009

Facebook

Ah...the new rage. I feel like my friends and family are joining Facebook like moths to a fire.

I'm just not sure I want to go there.

I have no reason not to go there. I have nothing to hide. I absolutely loved high school, and enjoyed college. No "ghosts in my closet" so to speak.

I think my real hesitations are these...

1. Do I really want to open myself up to be judged and be in a position where it is easy to judge other people without really knowing them? You know we are all guilty of looking at someone's picture and saying, "Man, they look really old since I last saw them!!!!" We seem to quickly forget that they may think the exact same thing about us! Ha!

2. Do I really want to take the time??

I know some of you are probably saying, "seriously...you do a blog? We can judge you from that!" but for some odd reason I feel safe with my blog. My blog, although a lot of people read it, is MINE. It is my personal journal of how my days are spent. It is a way for people to keep up with what is going on in my life, and if they blog I love keeping up with what is going on in their lives too.

I just don't see Facebook like that.

I've definitely been curious. My friend Stacey has been kind enough to let me go into her Facebook account and snoop around. It was intriguing. I loved seeing who had accounts and found myself furiously typing everyone's name I could think of that I may have known in say, oh the last 25 years or so...yes, I even checked to see if my best friend from 1st grade (that I haven't seen in nearly 25 years) had an account. If you are reading this and know me personally, then yes - your name was probably typed while I was snooping!

I've been ready to sign up a dozen times or so...and then stopped.

Always going back to those same hesitations. Those same nagging thoughts.

So I am wondering...

If you are on Facebook why do you enjoy it?

17 comments:

RosyRose said...

hey bliss...just signed up about a month ago...but you probably knew that:P
I like it because I actually use it more like email. I feel safer because I can invite people I know. Blogs can be viewed by all so I am more careful about posting personal info....
And you don't have to worry about the judging thing because your so beautiful they will just say...wOW LIFE has been GOOD to bliss:)!

Sarah said...

I like that I have contact with my cousins that are all over the country.

It is fun to get in touch with people I haven't seen in 15 years. (Even though I know they're thinking I look older, too.)

I'm addicted to Facebook Scrabble.

Good luck with your decision!! ;)

Amber said...

I joined soon after facebook began a few years ago (during my jr. year at BU) and it's been great to be able to stay in touch with all sorts of people I met on my many summer adventures and all the different things I got involved in. I did a lot of summer ventures NOT involved with Middlebury or Butler that it helps me keep in touch with all sorts of people I met along the way. For me, it keeps a line of communication there and we can keep up with each others lives.

Good luck!

Mom of Double A said...

Hey Jamie!
I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago after lurking through Stacey's as well.
It's actually very cool. I'm more anxious to check that now than work on my blog.
And you don't have to post anything....you can have an account just to look at others. You can also restrict the viewing of your account so that only the people you want to see you can. And no-one can be your friend unless you let them.
I love that we'll be able to connect with all of our classmates before reunion time comes along!
I think you'd like it-go for it~
Anxious to hang out in a few weeks.

Jami said...

I have really enjoyed my time spent on Facebook. One thing I like about it is you can spend as much time or as little time as you want on it. I enjoy getting on from time to time to spend lots of time catching up with people, but most of the time I only get on when I receive an e-mail notification that someone has left me a message or comment. Unlike our blog, you don't have to go to your Facebook account to know if someone leaves you a comment. I have never thought about the judging part, so I have no comment about that. I have really liked getting in touch with people from high school and college. I use it more for that kind of contact and don't really get into all the games, quizzes, etc. For me, that is a waste of my time.

Anonymous said...

I am just the opposite of you, I haven't started a blog bc I feel that lets out way more of my life to be judged than facebook. When I first signed up I spent a lot more time on it bc it was something new. Now it is just fun to look at peoples new pictures of their kids and families, or stay in touch with relatives that live far away that I don't see often. With Facebook you can make your page as public or as private as you want. If you want to send someone a message you can post it for all to see or send it more like an email and it is private. I hope you sign up!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok the last comment is mine........not trying to hide anything........HA!

Anonymous said...

Hey J~~
I love FB. Like Sarah said, it's an easy way to keep in contact with relatives/friends from all over. People I haven't seen in years, I'm talking to now. Go for it!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie, Thought you might want a guy's review about this too. I think it's pretty neat. I have a friend that lives in Alaska, and i have contact with him probably twice a week. I have found people I haven't seen since i graduated in 1985! Anyway, just thought i'd give you my experience.

The Johnsons said...

Love it...add me as your friend if you get it! I have everything private so only my "friends" can see it! Plus...you look great, your happy, and your kids are ADORABLE! What do you have to worry about people talkin' about? Only good stuff Jaim!!! :)

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

I guess I should explain that it's not just that I'm worried people will talk about me....I just think it's so easy to judge in general with something like that (unfortunately, I'll be honest in saying I am completely guilty of dishing out judgement too...it goes both ways). I wish that wasn't the case, and it's something I am trying to work on (keep my opinions to myself...keep my opinions to myself...keep my opinions to myself..)

Anyway, your comments are very helpful. I didn't know it could be private and that would be nice. I also like the idea of using it like E-mail.

Keep the comments coming! They are helping my decision!!

Nicole said...

Hey girl! You make me laugh! I had the same hesitations about signing up as well. I did sign up after so many friends kept nagging me :) but I am hardly ever on it! I prefer blogging! I know a lot of people who truely enjoy it though! So good luck with your decision! I do like that it is private so I only accept certain invitations. But on the other hand I feel bad when I don't accept certain peoples invitations but that is one nice way of controlling who is allowed to view your info!

Marika said...

I enjoy facebook but I don't think it is as personal as blogging can be (and I like blogging more). What I like best about it is all the people from my high school years (and even earlier) that have found me on there! It's fun to see what people are doing now and reconnect with old friends. Good luck! :)

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

Lots of comments J. You know me and my addictive personality. I don't join because I know it will become a total addiction!! he he he

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Facebook. ....and I have used Blogger before as well. Blogger can be viewed by ANYONE...Facebook will be viewed by whoever you accept as a friend...period. You get to connect with so many friends you would never run into or see... you see their kids...their families...how they have grown. I have reconnected with friends..etc. With Blogger you will not connect with "other peoples lives" like you can on Facebook. I guess if you want a personal journal, blogger is more for you. If you are wanting to connect...Facebook is a much better tool.

Jami said...

Just checking back to see what others have to say. I think you have nothing to lose. If you don't like it...quit. If you like it...continue to chat and search for old friends.

Kim said...

OK so I agree with everyone and their comments. Never thought about the judging thing though. And I really think that blogging is putting a lot more out there than FB does. I love that FB can be kept to only those that are your friends. You have the power to control who sees your page, blogs do not. Don't get me wrong, I love blogging, but I also love FB!