Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Value of a Compliment

Everyone loves to receive a heartfelt compliment...whether you want to admit it or not. But why is it that a compliment from a complete stranger means so much? Today I was out with my children and a total stranger stopped me to compliment me on how well behaved my children are. This person made my day. I'm trying not to sound vain, but I have received compliments on my children before from people when we are out (grandma and grandpa types are great at this). Why does it mean so much when I don't even know the person? Is it because, as a mom, my children are what I invest most of my time into day in and day out? Is it some sort of validation that I must be on the right path when it comes to raising them and teaching them social norms and manners? I know that at least part of it is because this person could have never said a word to me and I would have never known the difference? But they did say something to me and it did make a difference. They made my smile a little wider and my admiration and respect for my children a little deeper (is that even possible?).

I've thought a lot about that compliment today, as well as the ones I have received prior to this particular one. What I learned is that all people - even the ones you don't personally know - need a little pat on the back sometime. My very favorite commercials are the ones where one person witnesses another person doing an act of kindness, and then they simply pass it one, which causes one more person to commit an act of kindness...and so on. I made a promise to myself today to do that. To simply do my part to pass kindness on, even if it is as simple as a heartfelt compliment. After all, wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.


"Today give a stranger one of your smiles...it may be the only sunshine he sees all day."
--H. Jackson Brown

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow what a beautiful post! I don't even know you but I can tell you have such a loving sweet heart! Thank you for your honesty you always share! It encourages me!

Kelli said...

So true! I think the stranger means a lot too because you know it has to be genuine. I'm so glad you were patted on your back today because I can tell, just by reading your blog, that you deserve it. So here's a pat from Ohio!

Stacey said...

That is so neat Jamie! I LOVE to get compliments on my kiddos! They are truly gifts from God! When I get a compliment I always reply, "Thank you, they are my angels" I want them (the kids) to hear how much they mean to me!

Anonymous said...

Not all GRANDMA AND GRANDPA types give compliments. Sometimes they are irritated by little ones being around; especially in a resturant. This grandma has been trying to tell you that those special little ones are just that; VERY SPECIAL. Grandma F

RosyRose said...

hey bliss...You should be feeling the love! That's awesome! I know I kind of take compliments for granted from those close to me. Some how it seems to be an extra validation when a stranger, who has no vested interest in my life, says something kind!
You are a great mom, I know because my little girl loved you as her teacher. If you can be great as a teacher you are spectacular with your own little ones!

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
Not only are you my best friend but certainly one of my inspirations! You always have a way of reminding those around you that it is the "little things" that truly are the "Big Things", you bring joy to many! Thanks for being you! Love & Hugs, Kim