Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Act of Giving

My mom taught me, very early, the importance of giving and I will forever be grateful. She was, and continues to be, wonderful at this selfless act of love. As a child I can remember my mom being in line to pay our heating bill. The young lady in front of her was telling the cashier that she was unable to pay her bill. The cashier explained that her heat would be turned off. With no other choice the young lady left. My mom walked up to the counter and paid that young lady's heating bill in full. That in itself is wonderful, but you see, the beauty of the way that my mom gives (and subsequently has taught me to give) is that she does it completely anonymously. When asked by the heating company if her name could be attached to such a generous gift, my mom quickly declined. That takes the beauty out of it. I loved picturing that woman going home that night, totally defeated, and recieving a phone call from the heating company telling her that her heat had been turned back on and her bill was paid in full.

Miracles do exist. They come in the form of angels among us.

In the house I grew up in the spirit of giving was alive all year long, but it was especially strong during the Holiday season. Every year we adopted a family and bought gifts for the entire family...not just the children. We would carefully shop for each person, taking into account any information we could get on them (likes, dislikes, favorite colors, sizes, styles, etc). We would then have someone else deliver the presents so the family had no clue who bought them for them. It is important that I point out that my family was not extremely wealthy, but that my mom planned all year for this shopping trip, carefully setting money aside each week. A lot of heart went into those shopping trips...and little did my mom know how much she was teaching me in the process.


Now that I have a family I have learned one of the best benefits of giving is that bringing joy into the lives of others, actually makes me a happier person! It is easy to get wrapped up in what is going on in your own life...but when you take the time to make someone elses life a little better you are reminded of what really matters in life. I also love how much my children learn from giving to others. It is a value that is best taught by example, and at 3 years old Eva is really grasping it. It is amazing for me to see her detect a need somewhere and suggest we help that person or family out. It is even more fun to see her give...and never expect recognition in return.

The financial crunch our nation is facing is on every newspaper, website, and television show you turn on. Everyone is feeling a bit of a pinch...and it would be easy to decline reaching out to those in need this Holiday season, especially if your own family is struggling.

I encourage you to do the opposite of that. I encourage you to give.

I often feel that God calls me to give during the times that I would rather not...the times that I feel I have enough on my own plate to worry about others. I've learned that during those times it is especially important to care for those around me and step out of my comfort zone. There are so many needs this Holiday season. I encourage you to look in your community to find a way you can make this blessed season just a little brighter for someone else. You never know...it could end up making your Holidays more fulfilling in the end too.

Below I have listed ideas of ways to give...but feel free to comment and leave more.

* Donate to a local food pantry (my friend Sarah suggests donating one item a day)

* Adopt a family (or a child) through your local church, school, etc.

* Pay someone's heating or electric bill

* Pay for someone's groceries

* There is an organization (not sure of the name) where you buy a gift for a child that has an incarcerated parent, on behalf of the parent.

* Pay the toll for the car behind you

* Donate to the local animal shelter

* Purchase a small gift card (gas, groceries, etc) and give it to someone that needs it

* Buy all the fixings for a good Christmas meal for a family that can't afford it

* Go to a nursing home and just spend time with some of the residents there

* Donate your time at a school (possibly just reading to children)

* Offer to clean someones house (this is great when both parents work)


I have found the best way to find a need in your community is to just listen. You will be amazed how often you hear of someone that couldn't pay for something or needs something done.

So, my challenge is this my friends....I challenge you to make a difference. Do it with no strings attached..no name attached...just a loving spirit in your heart.

"Dare to reach your hand out into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light."
--Norman B. Rice

7 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I couldn't agree more jaime! my family adopts a family though the salvation army and it's so awesome knowing you made someones holiday! especially a childs!

RosyRose said...

Hey bliss, It was so good to see you yesterday:)
I loved the post! Great challenge!
One thing we did with our kids is adopted a child through Compassion. They do a tremendous work for kids in poverty. What's great about it is that we can write letters and send pictures back and forth through the year. At least one of the kids usually remembers to pray for her every night in our prayer time.In this way it feels like we have a small part in her life year after year.
Thanks again for the challenge.

Nicole said...

What an awesome reminder!! As a "side job" my hubby does real estate investing so he deals with the occasional person who just cannot pay rent that month. So we are always amazed at the amount of people struggling that you would normally never guess. My husband and I have prayed for years that God could open our eyes to see the needs of those around us and I am amazed at the times he has. It does not always make it easy but like you said in the end you are blessed big time by it! Thank you for such a sweet reminder to care for one another!

Marika said...

Thank you for this post! It is such a good reminder and I will be keeping my eyes open for opportunities to serve others.

Stacey said...

Great Post Jamie! Miss you!

Mom of Double A said...

What a great reminder for all of us. And you're right, everyone is feeling the financial crunch right now...but there are many out there feeling it much worse than we are.
Good message.

It was fun being with you guys last weekend!

Kelli said...

What a post! This is what I needed to hear today. Your mom planted a wonderful seed and I'm glad to see you are passing it on. I need to be better about that. Thanks for sharing.