The problem was getting it started....I was a little overwhelmed at the thought of it....until I talked to my friend Kelly (who also happens to be our chiropractor and she ROCKS) and she mentioned she had been wanting to make one too. So together we set out to tackle a project that ended up taking us quite a bit of time, but was completely worth it.
Purchased Materials...
A piece of poplar wood (mine was 6 feet high and 1 foot wide).
Polyurethane
A roller and brush for the polyurethane
Vinyl Cutouts
Sander
We started by sanding our boards (sorry I don't have any pics of the step-by-step process - I forgot my camera)! We rounded the corners just a bit and made sure it was all smooth. We then added 2 coats of Polyurethane. After it dried we affixed vinyl cutouts of the dashes and numbers for the ruler. Kelly has a Silhouette that cuts vinyl, but if you do not have access to that I think you could do some of it on a Cricket or even by hand with a stencil (which is what I was originally planning on doing). I will admit that this took the most amount of time because we wanted it to be as accurate as possible.
We personalized our growth charts by adding our last names (for safety reasons I have blotted them out) and the year our families were started (the year we were married). We then added 2 more coats of polyurethane...and now we are ready to start measuring!
Another good thing that came out of this little project is we discovered that Jaden and Kelly's daughter play together like two peas in a pod! Hmmm....I'm thinking more fun projects are in our future!
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail."
--Edwind Land




1 comment:
Jamie,
This turned out perfect! great job!!! You are so good in everything!!
Post a Comment