Thursday, August 25, 2011

A lesson from a 4 year old...

Today Jaden and I were talking about friendships.  We were discussing how to handle situations when friends are not making good choices. 

This is a tricky conversation for a four year old....at this age everything is black and white.

Nevertheless, the conversation was in full swing and I was talking to him about how to handle different situations.  At one point I said, "Ya know buddy, sometimes when a friend is making poor choices the best thing to do is not to encourage it...just ignore it."

I thought this was pretty good advice....until I heard what came out of Jaden's mouth next.

Jaden looked at me with his wide little innocent eyes and said, "Mommy, sometimes when my friends do something wrong I talk to them about God."

I just sat there and looked at him...and my heart melted into a puddle on the floor.

I realized in that moment our roles had briefly switched....I was no longer teaching my son, but he was teaching me.


Jaden, our conversation this afternoon I will never ever forget...and I can't help but wonder what this world would be like if more people took your gentle advice.


I'm linking up here...

and here...
the hollie rogue

3 comments:

andi {the hollie rogue} said...

tears! what a sweetheart--you must be doing a good job teaching and modeling the things of God for him. what a cool affirmation of that! thanks for linking up!

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

You seriously need to stop making me cry at work with your posts ;)

Such a great lesson to be reminded of....Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What an incredibly touching story. What an amazing little man you have. I love his eyes and his heart.

God is so good.