Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trying to find my passion....

When I was a little girl my mom was quite the runner. I remember her out running races and cheering her on....I loved it. As a child it made me have a fondness for running and I often would join my mom on her jogs. I have wonderful memories of this (I actually have a great picture of my mom and I running together when I was little but my scanner isn't working - ugh!). At the young age of 8 or so I was running races with my mom - the longest being a 10k. It was something I loved to do at that age. Unfortunately, as I got older and involved in school activities I let running go by the wayside....something I have always regretted.

Through the years I have tried to give running a shot here and there. My husband is a great runner and I would love to have that hobby together. It seems that I'll run for awhile and then for one reason or another I give it up. Recently I gave it another shot - got back on the horse so to speak - and I've gone running a few times. It just seems I'm trying to find my passion for it again...looking....looking....looking....

And I think last night I found it.

As I was lacing up my running shoes my little girl stood beside me and said, "Mommy, can I run with you tonight?"

It was like my mind flashed back 25 years ago to when I would ask my mom the exact same thing. I nearly got a little choked up!

I enthusiastically told her, "YES!" and together we took off into the sunset. My running pace is slow which is great for a 5 year old. We had some great conversation and I was floored at how well she did. She never asked to stop to walk once!

It meant so much to me to have my little girl with me while I ran...it brought back so many memories...and in the end....

I think it helped me find my passion again.
Thanks Eva....I love you peanut!

5 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for the compliment J...but it might be a little bit of a stretch...I've been running to the fridge, more than for exercise lately.

I'm SOOOO excited you are able to share this joy with Eva!!

Kimberly said...

So much fun for you two! It is interesting what great things the kiddos can bring out in all of us! "Keep at it sista"

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! What a cute post. You've come a long way since your post about your "not love" relationship with the treadmill! Go, girl! Angel

Amy said...

Way to go girl! Peyton is my little running partner too...of course she and I run the mile after I get back from my run...I love that we can pass on healthy options for our daughters!!

Way to go...maybe we could meet in a fun place and run a half together!!!

Woo hoo~

Melanie said...

My girl (20) and I run together, too!