Friday, May 21, 2010

My Favorite Things....Make-Up Edition!

About a year or so ago I did a few posts on some of my favorite things. It was fun to do and it made me realize just how many things I use that I've become quite loyal to. I've always been a girl that sticks with things that I like. Why fix it if it isn't broke right? This goes for everything in my life...from the person I hire to fix my plumbing right down to the chapstick I use. I am just a very loyal girl. That being said, I thought it would be fun to have a few more of these posts, but this time I thought I would put a theme to each one. It's a great fill-in when I don't have much else to blog about! Sooo...look for more this summer! Today we are covering make-up!

I've always liked make-up ever since I was young - but I am no pro at it. I find what I believe works for me and I stick with it. Here are a few of my favorites....

I have always worn some type of foundation...my dermatologist taught me early on that it's actually good for your skin to have some sort of protection on it and that stuck. However, I never liked the creamy foundation because it just never looked natural. I can't stand seeing a line on the jawline of someone from their make-up. My mom introduced me this foundation years ago....

I have to be honest in saying I was VERY hesitant at first. I just didn't really think something that looked so powdery and loose could work well as a foundation. Oh. My. Word. It is amazing and I've been hooked ever since. This make-up is soft, sheer (yet it covers zits!), and it honestly looks better as the day goes on instead of the other way around. I love it.


I've always loved the look of nude lips....just soft and shimmery with a little hint of color. I have a thin upper lip so I like to use lip liner. The trick is finding the right balance of lip liner and gloss without looking like a...welll.....you know. I remember back in high school Janet Jackson would line her lips with a darker lip liner and then use clear gloss. Oooohhhh how I loooved that look. Now I wouldn't be caught dead in it. BUT I still like that whole nude lip look like the ones below...


After years of searching I think I finally got the right combination down. About 4 years ago I fell in love with a MAC lip liner called Spice. It's such an amazing shade...it looks natural, yet there is color. I would often pair it with one of MAC's clear lip glosses and it looked alright....but I was still looking for the correct lip gloss to pair it with.


This past spring I found it!!! I was at Sephora and they were giving out free samples of these little beauties by Bare Minerals....

The combination of the Spice lip liner and the Bare Minerals gloss in Rose is (in my completely unprofessional opinon) the perfect nude lip. Looooove it.

On to eyeshadow. I've been a MAC girl for years and years when it comes to shadow. The colors are beautiful and more importantly they STAY PUT!!!!! However....this past spring I tried a charcoal shadow from Target's Sonya Kashuk's line and I love that just as much as the MAC eyeshadows!

You may laugh when I tell you this one.....when it comes to mascara I've been using the exact same one my mom introduced me to when I was thirteen and first started wearing mascara. It's true. Cover Girl Professional mascara is the one for me. I've tried "bigger and better brands" and I always come back to this one. I. Love. It.






Last, but not least....chapstick. I'm a girl that usually has something on her lips. I can't stand the feel of dry and flaky lips. If I'm not wearing lipstick I usually have chapstick on and in my opinion NOTHING beats this.....




I honestly have a stick of it in my purse...in my closet...in the kitchen....all over the house. I will tell you it has a minty feel to it so my little ones don't love it - but I do!


Hmmm....I would say those are the only things I'm totally loyal to in make-up. I love blushes but I change brands frequently and my hair products change alllll the time. The above are my tried and true!

"There is no cosmetic like happiness."
--Maria Mitchell




5 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I wear bare minerals and loooooooove it...I thought the same thing, how could it possibly work but ohhh does it and without looking like your wearing much!!! Have you been to camelia? They have a bare mineral club and you get $ off after you spend so much and its family owned so I try to go there instead of sephora but I do like sephora too!!!

Courtney said...

I was the same way about Bare Minerals...hesitant to use it because I was unsure of its coverage but I LOVE it! And ditto to the chapstick. I don't go anywhere without my Burts!

RosyRose said...

Love Love Love Burts bees!!! I'll have to try some of the bare minerals.

beachy keen girl said...

I love Bare Minerals too. It's perfect. And love the nude lip look too :) Fun list.

Jami said...

Thanks for sharing your favorites! I use many of the same products!