Monday, May 10, 2010

I'd STRONGLY recommed this one....

As many of you know I am a vaccine delaying Mama...I have done what I feel is best for both of my children, and both of my children are on very different vaccine schedules. I am always quick to tell people that I am NOT anti-vaccine....I AM pro safe-vaccine! I personally think we give our children too many vaccines all at once.

That being said, I have done a LOT of research on this topic....a whole heckuva lot! I've read some great books, but I recently found one that is hands down the best vaccine book I have read. It's called The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears (I know....pretty original name eh?!)! Ha!


What I love about this book is that it is NOT anti-vaccine OR pro-vaccine. Dr. Sears just gives you a LOT of information about each vaccine so that you can make informed decisions about them. Each chapter covers a different vaccine and for each vaccine it covers the following:

How common or rare each disease is
How each vaccine is made / ingredients
Which ingredients are controversial
Side effects of each vaccine
How to recognize, treat, prevent side effects
Brands and types of each vaccine that is safest
How to tailor your child's vaccine schedule
What precautions unvaccinated children should take

I also loved that the book discusses delaying vaccines (like I do) and what vaccines are not needed as a child ages...as well as which ones are. It discusses Teter tests, which is a test to determine if your child is already immune to different diseases (in which case a vaccine would not be necessary). It also dives into the topic of travel. We are a family that likes to travel, and since I do delay vaccines I need to ensure that my children are safe. This book not only gave me guidelines, but it also gave me websites to find out which diseases are more prominent where we may be traveling to.

After reading this book I could not WAIT to tell others about it - those that do vaccinate on a normal schedule and those that don't. It's just so important that we all go into something like vaccines with our eyes wide open and do what we feel is best for our little ones...whatever that may be!!!


PS. Comments are always welcome, but if you want any further information about my research with vaccines please e-mail me. I'm more than happy to share what I've learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're so smart :) Eat to live just came in from the library. I promised you I would read it - so here I go. You'll make me healthy, yet! Angel