Our family's lifestyle, in general, is pretty healthy to begin with but there is always room for improvement. Matt and I both want our children to always know that eating well and physical activity is an important part of every day life.
Here are a few things we are changing in our household to make our home healthier and happier:
1. Lots of physical activity! We get a lot of activity in the summer, but it's so much harder in the winter. Yes, I am continuing my relationship with my treadmill (and learning to love it again) and since our treadmill is in the basement Eva and Jaden zoom around me on their bikes and scooters while I work out! Great exercise for all of us!! We also have "dance parties" where I turn on some rockin' 80's music and Eva, Jaden, and I dance our hearts out. Let me tell you, in my mind I definitely look like a Solid Gold Dancer (Do you remember that show?)!!!! Ha!! Basically, we are just doing what we can to keep ourselves active during the day (and doing our best to make it fun).
2. More fruits and veggies. The kiddies eat a lot of fruit and veggies, but I wasn't so good at it. I am trying to incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies into our meals since those are the most nutritious. One thing that has really helped is having the fruit sitting out (hence the need for my fruit bowl mentioned in the previous post). When it is sitting out I'm more tempted to grab some to eat, and the kiddies are always asking for it with meals.
3. More time relaxing. This one is more for me than for our family. I've found that I tend to go, go, go and then when I get the kids down for bed I want to crash. I'm trying to find a balance. I've started reading again (this is super relaxing for me) and my blog is also relaxing (you may notice I've posted more lately). I've also tried to make sure I cut out some time to spend with God. I have always spent time with Him...but I'll be honest in saying that sometimes it was in the car on the way to the grocery store! I know that isn't bad, but it's also not giving Him the time he deserves. Soooo....I am trying very hard to carve out even a few moments of quiet during the day that I can thank Him for all the blessings in my life.
That is it as far as goals or aspirations go....but I also want to share with you one health related thing that our family has done for years that we feel we are doing right and has made a big impact on us...
Both Matt and I REALLY limit sugar intake with ourselves and our kiddies. . We do make exceptions (birthday parties or other special occasions) but in our day to day life we don't eat sweets (and Jaden doesn't get sweets at all since he is not even old enough to know the difference). This guideline has had huge benefits...here are just a few:
1. Our little ones just don't crave sweets. Eva and Jaden ask for raisins and prunes as "sweets".
2. It's not only better for their little bodies, but it's also soooo much better for their teeth. Our dentist loves this little guideline we follow!
3. Eva is only four, but she knows very well what foods are good for her and what foods aren't. On Christmas Eve she said she only wanted to leave Santa ONE cookie...because "cookies aren't good for him."
Just an idea, but Matt and I are big advocates of it because we see the difference it makes in our children. When Eva has sugar (as she did at various times during the Holiday season) we both see a BIG difference in her behavior.
That is it my friends...I hope you and your family will enjoy this new year to the fullest!!!
Here is to a HAPPY and HEALTHY 2009!!!!!
5 comments:
Good inspirations Jami! I too,want to be healthier in my eating and exercise! You are so very disciplined! I admire that about you! Did you see I posted my pic spot for you:) For you my dear;)!
I wish you a healthy 2009!
Wow girl that is awesome! I want to about the same :) More exercise and eating healthy! I love that your kids and the both of you really limit your sugar! That is awesome and it is something I wish I would've started long ago with my kids! I do have one question do you crave chocolate at all? I could skip on sugar but oh my the world might stop if I could not have chocolate every day :) How do you do it?
Nope Nicole...I can't say I am a big chocolate fan (and that helps the whole sugar thing). My big cravings are for chips and salsa. Seriously, I could eat an entire bag of chips and an entire jar of salsa (although usually I make my own) every. single. day.
Love it!
jamie
That's awesome, Jamie! It's amazing how much better I feel when I eat healthy versus eating anything greasy and fried. Matt and I have talked about how you limit Eva & Jaden's sugar intake, and you have inspired us to do the same with ours. Especially after my grandma, who died of cancer, had a specialist tell her that "cancer loves sugar". Not to mention all the other health risks & consequences that come from eating a high sugar diet. The kiddies will thank you when they're older!
Post a Comment