Well, finding that artwork ended up being a major problem - a major problem. Part of the problem was that I knew exactly what I wanted. I could see it in my head, I could explain it to anyone, but I couldn't find it in stores.
We looked everywhere. We scoured the Internet, looked at art chain stores, and even contacted a professional artist about creating a piece for the kitchen. We found stuff that would have worked, but in all we were going to spend hundreds of dollars on artwork that we just didn't love.
Pure craziness.
So....what is a girl to do when she knows what she wants, but can't find it in stores? I'll tell you what a girl does - she goes to desperate measures and just does it herself!!! Yes, you read that right. I decided to paint it myself. If any of you know me you know that I am not an artist, but the cool thing about abstract art is that simple is key. If you can make a circle you can make an abstract picture. And, in a nutshell, that is just what I did. The background was kind of tricky for someone as inexperienced as me. I wanted it to look like a wash of black and grey (kind of like a freshly erased blackboard). After I figured that out I just created numerous circles over it in various sizes and colors.
In all Matt and I are really happy with it. It pulls the colors in, is abstract, and is exactly what I saw in my mind all of those months we were hitting dead ends everywhere else. The other positive to this is that it cost us a fraction of what we were going to spend on artwork we didn't truly love. I love a happy ending.
13 comments:
Way to go Jamie! That looks really good!
Among so many other wonderful things, Jump... you're a real ar-teest!
xoxo
It looks great Jamie!!!
Jamie...I LOVE IT!!
You did such a great job.
I have the same problem. My walls in my living room are completely bare because I can't find just the right thing. Trouble is, I don't have a vision yet...otherwise I'd ask you to step in.
Did you buy canvases? I see them do that on home shows all the time and it always looks so simple, but I'm sure it isn't as simple as it looks.
Way to go!
Love it!
This is off the subject but have you made your wedding cake yet? I want to see pictures!
Nope Stef, no cake yet (although I wasn't crazy enought to attempt a wedding cake - I was just going to stick with a birthday cake). I've got all the stuff, and even bought a book on working with fondant, but decided it was a winter project. Too much fun stuff to do outside to be stuck in the kitchen baking a cake all day! It worked out great because I worked on my paintings outside at night while the kiddies were asleep. I love cool summer evenings!
Yes, Jill, I did buy two cavases. I also have seen it done on home shows and thought the same thing. It really was pretty easy, especially since it was abstract. Like I said, the hardest part was the background because acrylic paint does not blend very easily and I wanted a "washed out" look.
Looks great! You really did a good job.
what about how straight they look, HUH? Not bad for someone not so handy w/ the hammer!
Love you J.
matt
Jamie, those look great! Now that piece will have extra meaning. I created a 4 canvas abstract piece above my fireplace a couple of years ago and love it. I haven't attempted more since then, but I have some ideas for long narrow pieces up the staircase. Way to go!
I am completely impressed. It looks fabulous.
I am impressed with the hanging of the artwork. You can tell it was a master with a hammer! Now you know I am not as open to modern art, but it is nice Jamie. Why didn't you let Eva and Jaden go crazy with finger paints? I bet Grandma would have been impressed!! I loved the Eva's painting that you had framed in your other house. Speaking of,, I am still waiting on my painting from Eva. Love you all, Mom F.
PS: I mean for this to be a compliment; I hope you took it that way.
That art is impressive! Nice work.
Post a Comment