Friday, February 24, 2012

Hmmm....that would be kinda fun!

I think at least once I day I am reminded how thankful I am that my "job" right now consists of raising our children.  I honestly, from the depths of my soul, can't think of anything I would rather do, that I would find more fulfilling, or that would make me happier. 

I would not be more content doing anything else on earth.

That said, sometimes I think to myself, "what would I do if I WAS working outside the home?"  As many of you know I use to be teacher and I did love that profession....but part of my reason for choosing that profession was so that if I DID have to work after having children I would have a similar schedule as they would when they were school-age.  Yes, I actually thought that through way back in high school.  Like I said, I've always wanted to simply be a mom. On a side note, I am forever thankful to my husband for feeling that my being home with the children is as important as I feel it is...and for working hard so we can make that happen.

So anyway, sometimes I do think about what I would find fulfilling if I wasn't a stay-at-home mom.  I really don't think I would go back to teaching.  Crazy, considering I have my masters degree in it.  Here are a few occupations I think would be fun....
1.  Photographer.  This one is a no-brainer.  For those of you that don't know, I did own my own photography business for awhile, and I was blessed with a business that thrived a bit more than I had planned.  Family will always come first, so I put it on the back burner.  That being said, the passion is still there.
2.  House Stager.  These are the people that go into a home that's for sale and "stage" it for selling.  This includes everything from cleaning and organizing to decorating.  Before Matt and I had children we would often go through open houses just to get ideas for when we would someday build.  We also would watch a local TV show that showcases homes for sale (I actually still watch it occasionally).  I quickly picked up on what drew me into a home...and what didn't.  When it was time to sell our house I used what I had learned.  We showed our house 4 times the first week, had two offers on it, and ended up selling it for more than what we were asking.  Let me tell you, that stuff works!  The couple that purchased it said they were drawn to the organization and use of space.  That being said, I think I could only truly do this job for complete strangers...doing it for people I love and care for would make me all uncomfortable (although I have helped one or two)!  Ha! 

3.  Therapy Dog Owner.  Note that I have no desire to actually TRAIN the therapy dog...I just want to be the lucky one that gets to take it to the hospital/school/etc. and allow it to work with people.  I know NOTHING about this profession - just think it sounds like a fun time!
4.  Professional organizer.  I'm a bit obsessed with my label maker, baskets, and rubbermaid tubs.  The amount of satisfaction I get from complete and total organization is a little ridiculous....and when I don't have organization I can be a bit of a grouch.  Just ask my poor husband.  To me organization brings almost a zen-like calmness.  I crave it.
5.  Children's Bookstore Owner.  Picture the movie You've Got Mail....yep, just like that.  I'd love to someday own a children's bookstore that also sold a few boutique type children's items.  A store that was warm and cozy (even though I love the architechture in the above picture, I think I would want it much more warm and cozy than that).  I would want a store that had daily story time...complete with hot cocoa in the winter and fresh lemonade in the summer.  I want to get to know my customers and welcome them with hugs and open arms.  One that allowed children to simply get lost in a book and spend hours there.  When Matt and I were in Australia we actually meandered into a store much like this.  I was in heaven and I'm not a kid anymore.  On a side note, I've also always wanted to write a children's book.

There you go kiddos!!!  At this time in my life these are some occupations I think sound fulfilling if I wasn't currently doing my dream job!  What are some occupations that you would love?

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I would be an elementary school art teacher, Travel Agent,
Radio personality,
Disney Princess, (I would be snow white),Party Planner,Florist, or
Run my own dog rescue, but I must say I'm quite content with what I do now, work as little out side the house as I can get away with. I refer to myself as a "trophy wife" because it sounds better than "stay at home mom" :)