Saturday, July 2, 2011

Inaugural Flag Raising....

Matt and I have been discussing installing a flag pole in our backyard.  The kiddies decided that Father's Day was the perfect time to get one!  Matt installed it last weekend and when I asked him about raising it he said that he was going to ask my dad to do the inaugural raising.

Let me tell you a bit about my dad....he is a Vietnam Vet and probably the most patriotic person I know.  When I approached him about possibly doing the first raising of our flag he got quiet, looked down, and said, "I'd be really honored."

So bright and early this morning he came over to raise our flag for the first time!!

As he got it ready he talked to the kiddies about how the flag should never touch the ground.

The Inaugural raising!

My favorite part...Dad saluting the flag after raising it.

Old Glory blowing in the morning breeze!

The finished project.

Remember this as you celebrate this weekend....the American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it.  The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.  American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them.

Happy Fourth of July!!!

3 comments:

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

Absolutely beautiful. Happy 4th :)

Jami said...

Great story!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you asked your dad to do the honors, what memories for Eva and Jaden. Your dad is a good man, one whom I am proud to know. I don't always remember to thank him for his service to our country during a very difficult time that our country was going through. Perhaps he will read this....great job Jim.