Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sweet Memories...

My friend, Rose, posted a fantastic post today (you can check it out by clicking on her name in my sidebar). Anyway, the idea of it is that time is just flying way too fast. Where does it all go?

Rose's post came at the perfect time because I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and honestly it can make me quite sad. Let me give you an example...

This morning Eva had gymnastics. Jaden and I sat in the bleachers and watched her. We waved at her when she looked over at us. We clapped for her. I was so excited to talk to her when she was finished to tell her how proud of her I am. Afterwards we ran errands together. My little ones were as good as gold. I packed a lunch and we ate together. Eva and Jaden think that is just as much fun as eating at a restaurant. Quite honestly, it was a really, really fun morning. I loved riding in the car with them, talking to them, singing songs together, and listening to music together. THIS is how many of our mornings go when errands need to be run, and I LOVE IT.

But on the way home it hit me.

Eva will be in preschool next year.

My days with both of my little ones home like this are very limited.

I honestly could have started crying if I would have thought about it for much longer. What this boils down to is that I absolutely L.O.V.E. this stage of my life. I love being a stay-at-home mommy and wife. I love playing with my children. I love teaching my children. I love having something yummy on the table when Matt walks in from work...normally made with love by Eva and myself.

My mom gave me wonderful advice when Eva was born. She told me that I must enjoy every single stage of life that my children go through because they each have a quality of joy all their own. She was right. Sooooo right.

But for right now I don't want this stage to end. I love my little 3 year old looking at me as she does her gymnastics to make sure I saw that somersault she did. And I love my little one year old watching her and clapping for her. I love the excitement on both of their faces over something as small as the fact that I packed them raisins for our lunch. These are moments that I know they will eventually outgrow and I will never get back.

As Rose stated so beautifully in her post...what I can do is cherish today. And I will. I will hug them a little tighter. I will make sure I give them even more kisses than I already do. I will be sure to tell Matt, Eva, and Jaden just how much I love them and how happy I am to be their wife and mommy.

9 comments:

Nicole said...

What a wonderful post. Yes I can cry right along with you...they do grow up way to quick. I told a friend of mine the other day I wish I could keep my kids this age for a long time. It is just so much fun, challenging at times but a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

This post tugged at my heartstrings and brought tears to my eyes! Those same by-gone days with you and Bear are among my very fondest of memories! I, too, LOVED so many of those special moments each day - sunggling in bed to watch Sesame Street & Mr. Rogers each morning, little eyes that look to you for love and approval, running errands together (and how you and your sister would ask to put 'one finger' out the window to catch a breeze... then seeing the joy on your faces as we drove down the street with your one little finger hanging out the window)... and more, and more, and more!!! You both made each day a special day, in a way that only children can. And, that continues today... I have a lifetime of special memories with each of you that I'll never forget; and, I have a future to look forward to where new memories may still go down as some of my favorites!!! Love, hugs, and kisses (words from the past)- xoxo

The Miller's said...

This post hits my heart too! I really struggle with letting go of the present, and past sometimes. It was difficult for me to decide to start our family, because I absolutely LOVE our life now, just the two of us. But, I know that I will love the next stage as well - maybe it's just the transition that's difficult. I've always dreamed of being a mommy and I can't wait to have those everyday special moments with my children, as you were saying. There's a country song that I love about this very topic called "You're Gonna Miss This" and I cry just about everytime I hear it! Love you!

Stacey said...

Good post Jamie! I agree! I can't imagine my days without the kids here! When they go to school it will be very bittersweet for me. I think that is partly why we seriously considered homeschooling, they could be home longer... I hope I am more ready for them to go to preschool next year than I am today, if I had to send them today, it would be VERY hard! We have our own routine that I LOVE! So glad God gives us the wisdom and strength we need, right when we need it, not before and never late!

We are good, just busy with church and grandma.... I will call you soon!

Anonymous said...

I think maybe your present experiences will help you to understand how hard it was to let go of my son's hand and let him begin another phase of his life with his beautiful wife. My baby boy is and was as precious to me as Jaden and Eva are to you. My son's name is Matt.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Jamie. Last year we had Preschool and this year Ethan is in Kindergarten. I can't believe my baby is that old! I also can't believe I am old enough to have a child that is in school. This next phase is pretty fun also, seeing Ethan light up when he learned something new at school, or when he gives his daddy his newest art project to display in his office. (His office must be wallpapered with them by now) He is just so proud of himself, and so are we. And then Aiden has so much to be proud of, he just started sleeping in a big boy bed and using the potty, once in a while:) It is very sad though because I feel like I won't have those baby moments anymore with the little one growing up now too. I am going to stop now because I am sad just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

This is why I decided we needed a third in our family. I wasn't quite ready to let go of these preschool years, as hard as they can be sometime.

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

Great post Jamie. It hard for me to see them grow up, I can't imagine how you feel

Jami said...

This is so true! I love every stage my boys are in. I never want it to change, but I always find that the next stage is pretty fun, too! So while we won't have those days back, there are wonderful days to look forward to as well.

Since Cameron is getting ready to turn 5 (and that sounds soooo old) we often tell him that we are not going to let him get any older--4 is as big as he can get. He completely understands life because he informs us that he has to grow. The cute thing is that he doesn't know that at some point he won't get bigger just because he grows older. So he thinks Eric and I are still growing!! Well, I might be, but in the wrong direction!!