Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Little Something to Think About...

Our church is currently doing a series entitled, "God, I have some tough questions". Basically every Sunday we tackle one question that is difficult to understand. A few weeks ago the question was, "What about people that have never even heard about God...what about their fate?" Our pastor did a wonderful job explaining his view of this by stating that he feels God presents himself to everyone....through nature, through the birth of a child, through small miracles that play out in our every day lives. He said that people that have never been presented with an image of God are presented with these same situations and at some point will come to the conclusion that a higher power is in control (although they may not know exactly who that higher power is...they still have a seed of faith).

The example our pastor gave to drive this point home really stuck with me. He told the story of Helen Keller and how as an infant she became deaf, blind, and mute after a sickness. Her sickness was long before she was old enough to hear (or at least comprehend) God. One day her teacher Anne Sullivan was signing into her hand and trying to explain God to her. Helen's response was...

"I already knew who He was....I just never knew His name."

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Talk about POWERFUL (the Helen Keller statement). I love when our church has a series. We just finished a series on Fireproofing Marriage. It was great. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Stacey said...

That is so neat!

Nicole said...

God is so good and sometimes I tend to put him in a box and do things on my own, but what an awesome reminder that he is big enough to be anywhere and touch anyone! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Such a clear sign of His amazing grace... and how He works in ways we could never even imagine! Good post, Jump!

Jami said...

What a powerful example of God's presence everywhere!